Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
96 Posts
I need to re-thread one of the water pump bolt holes in the block of my 1.9 and I would like to know a few things first, since I've never worked on an OHC engine before. Does the head have to come off to take the timing cover off or is there another way? Are there any tricks I should know, pitfalls to watch out for, bolts that should be replaced(12 pt. to allen maybe)? TIA

Thanks for any help/ideas,
Webster:)

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Webster;
If you have to know, yes, the head has to come off, there are 10 star bolts that hold the head on. which bolt hole do you have to re-thread? It might just be easier to pull the radiator out and pull the front crank pulley off, this will gain you access to just about all the bolt holes on the pump. I have an idea, that might save a bit of trouble, get a "thread cutting screw" slightly larger than the bolt hole and go that route, you'll have to drill out that hole in the water pump every time you replace a pump, but, it will make the job less painful. I did that on a Sportwagon of my Dad's, worked for years.
Gene

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bolt is the bottom long one (facing motor) on left goes into the block. I looked for a longer bolt -no one makes it,not even the original size and length.It's M7x1.00 X70mm, longest I found was 55mm. looked for stud to replace and again no one makes them in that pitch(1.00). Thought I would do it the right way so I'm not branded the PO someday. This SUCKS :mad: .It's a new rebuilt spent BIG $$ on it. So is there anything I should look out for in the processe.

Thanks
Webster

·
Super Moderator
14,062 Posts
The head does NOT have to be removed. Certainly it is easier to remove the head, but if you don't want to replace the head gasket, it can be done. But you MUST drop the front of the oil pan either way, or else you will crack the timing cover trying to pry it away with the pan intact. The toughest part about removing the timing cover without removing the head is the reassembly, trying to not bend the head gasket and installing the o-ring without damaging it. It will undoubtedly leak oil from the timing cover/head junction once you've put it back together, even if it didn't leak prior to the tear-down.

I've done a few timing covers without head removal, but only because I was working on people's cars at their own garages and did not have access to a new head gasket. It's much faster to remove the head.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Input.
I'm sure I dont want the head to leak oil all over the place. Guess it's back to the drawing board. Looks like the best way is the hardest way (what else is new).:(

Thanks again,
Webster

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the same boat here- I have my engine out and on a stand- I'd like to clean and paint the engine as well as reseal it before it goes back in the GT- I saw in the manual that states I have to pull the head in order to remove the timing cover- :ugh: I was hoping not to go through this to get the engine sealed and painted- the motor runs great and I was only hoping for a quick freshen up of seals and a paint job. Has anybody removed/ re-sealed the timing cover w/o removing the head and had no leaks afterward?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Star bolt sizes

Can you tell me what size star wrench(s) to get to remove the head and or topside timing cover bolts? I'm going to stop and pick them up on the way home in case we take that fork in the road tonight.... thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Those are special serrated bolts, and using a torx or other type of bit will likely strip them.

In any case, you should be referring to instructions found in a service manual or Opel-specific tech notes before you start to disassemble an Opel engine.

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gary- Thank you for confirming the 12 point sizes! Saves me the trip from home and back out again!

Anonymous D:No worries there- I'm a nubie at GT's but I can kinda fumble my way around an engine compartment- I have the factory manual, just looking to save a trip by asking on the forum for the bolt sizes!

I sincerly appreciate the replies! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sears did not have the 12 point spline wrenches but I found a set at o'reillys. Went ahead and pulled the head and removed timing cover. Going to get to cleaning and prepping for paint now.

One point- there were no bolts holding the timing cover at the cylinder head. Not sure what that means 10 bolts in cyl nder head

Glad I pulled the head. It'll make the resealing and painting that much easier. Thanks again for all the input and help

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.