Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
timnig marks for the motor

i dont understand tiing marks my book is telling me that timing should be at max at 900rpms it runs but i have no power new plug cap rotor wires and points help me ????:confused: :confused:

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Ignition timing is set at 0 degrees, except for 1975 Opels which are 5 degrees BTDC. Essentially, you need to disconnect the vacuum advance and vacuum retard from the distributor, and plug the lines (you don't have to plug the vacuum cannister). Then make sure your idle speed is correct. Then check timing by aligning the pointer on the block with the small round dot on the flywheel (this is located on the passenger side of the block, below the manifolds, and near the bellhousing..it's hard to see). That's it. Reconnect the vacuum lines to the distributor, and you're all set.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Oh, and I should mention that rotating the distributor clockwise will retard the ignition timing (rpms will slow down), and rotating counterclockwise will advance the timing (rpms will increase). If you end up having to advance the timing a lot, the rpms will possibly increase above 1100-1200 rpms, and then you will have to re-set the idle speed, and recheck the timing again. If the idle is above 1200 or so, the mechanical advance will start to come into effect, and your timing settings will not be accurate.

Good luck,

Bob

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gt timing

RallyBob thanks i still need some help ive set the timing and the dwell and rpm but i have no power it cant go up a hill what did i do wrong :confused: :mad:

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
If you look at my first reply to ben above, you'll see I mentioned that plugging the vacuum cannister is not required. You simply need to prevent vacuum leaks at the intake and carburetor by plugging those holes.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts