Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welp not sure where to post this ... guess here is a good a place as any .....

my kadett's timings off .....or my distributors messed up .... will anyone write exactly how to set the timing . or the easest way to do so .

· Über Moderator
6,669 Posts
Moved to the Ignition System Forum. Have a look around here, it's the same as timing a GT, with a timing ball embedded in the flywheel that you shine the timing light on. It's visible (barely!) when looking rear-wards on the passenger side. HTH

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Once you find the ball and pointer and have them lined up, its a good idea to mark the front pulley so you don't have to do it again. Keep in mind this is top dead center for both #1 and #4 pistons. If you haven't pulled the disrtibutor too much you can pull the cap off it and see where it's pointing. There is a mark on the distributor housing, just a line in the very top to set the #1 firing point. line up the rotor to it and try it again.

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
dont know if you can just use a tail bulb and run it off the low tension circut so that it flashes each time the points close if it works i may have to patent it as a low tech toy for the third world and the US:)

· Banned
3,910 Posts
The flash rate for a standard bulb is too slow. I'd bet the local Walmart sells one dirt cheap and if you look a bit I imagine they would sell one that might have a dwell meter in it too. To run points you really do need both. Baz off that side you would see 4 pulses per revolution.

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
but only 1 of them would light the ball!
thats what i was thinking but as you say it would take too long to light and go out :(

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Baz, et.al., Way back in my motorcycle racing days, we used to time the bikes by using a 12V lite, with mini-alligator clips on the socket. One clip to the hot side of the points, the other to ground. When the points just opened, the lite would come on. A good way to do a static timing, is to line up the ball-pointer, then rotate the distributor until the lite just does come on. That will put the points just opening as the ball-pointer line up. HTH.

· Banned
3,910 Posts
On a running car the little bearing is not in the window. It's an Opel thing I've never figured it out just ways around it. It just hit me that I don't know if you got it to fire up at all or not.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
havng timing done ....

i don't wanna chance doing the timing myself ...so i am having Vaughn do it for me ...gonna cost me 30 bucks but it shold be runing tomarrow nite .....so im hoping it all works out :) just can't trust myself to mess up something .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.