Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to purchase the ASA JS1 15" rims from tirerack. Now to decide on the tire size. Most people here I have read are using 205/50/15. I have also read in the wheel document that we can use 205/55/15 tires for a "smoother" ride. Anyone have any opinions between these two sizes? Do the 55s rub since they are a touch higher? The tires I have chosen are the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, they come in both sizes. This tire seems to get alot of good reviews, and for 66 bucks a pop not to bad. Thanks.

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Kevin on that issue I cheated so to speak. I went to the Peerless on Filmore and Nevada in the Springs. I told them the original tire size let them pick a high speed rated tire for the 14 inch and after he got out the new gloves to handle the BBSs it was perfect. A harder compound rated at 160 MPH and weighted so it couldn't be seen. I paid 270 mounted and balanced. Good people and not too far from you.

· Opel Addicts
2,479 Posts
I have the Sumitomo 205/50/15's on mine. Wonderful ride. Handles well in wet weather and look great.

Vickie

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks. I know the diameters of the tires, the 205/50 is a touch smaller (23.07 vs 23.39), and the 205/55 is a bit bigger (24.31 vs 23.39). What I was looking for was opinions of people using the 205/55/15 tires. Most here are very happy with the 205/50/15 tires. The 205/55s are a little bigger, so was seeing if anyone has problems with rubbing. By testing my speed with a GPS, when my speedo shows 60MPH, the car is actually going 58.3..so the 55s might make this closer, plus fillup the wheel wells a little better, but I don't want them to rub. Then there is the issue of bigger tires take more power to turn.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.