Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am determined to build a car to compete next year at the Waterford Speedbowl in CT. The question now is WHAT to race, money is going to be tight so I have been contemplating racing the '70 Opel GT. I really wanted to restore her and buy a Civic for the Speedbowl but....... Any input is appreciated, I would be in the X-CAR division which is a STOCK 4cyl class - no mods! Thanks

·
TonyB
87 Posts
I think you should restore the Opel and race a Honda. There are Lots Hondas and Opel GT are getting rare but Opel GT make good race cars too. Anyways that just what I think.

Tony

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
To Be or Not To Be ....

It's your car - racing will cost about three times what it cost to restore it ... in my experience with non-GT "Stock cars" ! You will break and ding LOTS more stuff on the race track.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I just went to Speedbowl's website and speed-read the X car rules.
My opinion is that this class requires cars to be way too stock to be any fun. First off the GT isn't allowed, being a two seater they'll call it a sports car.
No suspension mods whatsoever except adjust camber? No way. What kind of a race car do you call that? Stock bumpers, no reinforcing, good luck. The battery has to be in stock location. Ouch. How long will a GT's brakes work once we start bashing in the nose?
I don't think I'd do this to a stock GT. It just isn't gonna work. Stock suspension is gonna push so bad you'll need a bunch of caster wheels bolted all over the right side of the car to just guide you down the wall all the way around... Our rules here let me build one that we call "limited limited" in other words the car is built like a limited late model, a chassis with major rollcage skeleton and the body skins somewhat attached. And it has worked pretty well but man, just wait till next year!!
I'm guessing by the stock rules that your X-class is a "mini-bomber". A semi-controlled compact demo derby. The fans should love it. You know it's good if the Air Ambulance hovers overhead during the race.
I went back to Speedbowl.com and checked the Mini Stock rules. Very restrictive. My car would not be allowed there.
They can't even lock the rear end! The battery has to be where the heater core was. That's crazy.

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
So I am guessing he would have to find the old Solex and get it working also! Where did I put that....? It was holding the door open for few years....did I throw it away?

·
Registered
521 Posts
jeff denton said:
Stock suspension is gonna push so bad you'll need a bunch of caster wheels bolted all over the right side of the car to just guide you down the wall all the way around...

.........LOL

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who responded - most of the thoughts expressed I have considered. It may not seem very serious because of the restrictions to allowable mods but the reason for the class is to keep it competitive and LOW dollar. The rules state "In order to ensure the cost of this division is kept to a minimum, Waterford Speedbowl reserves the right to buy any car minus the safety equipment(fuel cell, belts, seat) for $500.00" That will keep everybody honest and not risk the loss of a vehicle. I will end up with a Civic, most bang for the buck and loads of aftermarket stuff (not everything is covered in the rulebook, so I still may have some tricks up my sleeve:27: ) Anybody have any experience with roll bar construction - the only thing that worries me as far as fabrication/prep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts