Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spoke to Todd from Opels Unreachable (Unlimited) last night to finally get my 75 Fuel Injection parts purchased and on their way! :rolleyes:

Anyway, we spoke for an hour (his dime) about everyone trying to reach him and purchase parts. He has relied on Tammy a lot who's been ill by the way so things have fallen through the cracks lately. He kept calling me a computer guy and wanted me to express to the other computer types who
"want it Now" to be patient, as he's constantly out sourcing even more parts!
He carries new, as well as used parts. Has about 30ea. headers in his supply and even the modern European engines and fuel injection systems that OGTS sells. OGTS gets parts from him as well! "Gil's a computer guy and he isn't" was his comment! He wants you all too know he totally devoted to the Opel and plans to be around for a long time to come. He also sells a big selection of after market wheels.

So for what it's worth, I've passed on his comments to you all!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I tend to be a night owl and patient so reaching Todd has never been a problem. Sorry to hear about Tamitha being sick. Debby was doing the computers for a while but I'm not sure how that all went.

We spoke the other night about cranks and motors. Me personally, I've had nothing but good luck there. I've heard it all and again know more than I should. Todd got me out of a bind on window gaskets when Gil was out and the car had to be moved outdoors.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Big Deal

He could have the moon and stars in his inventory. Alot of good it's gonna do me if:
A) I can't reach him
B) He doesn't return phone calls, or
C) I pay for parts that never come or take months & months to arrive

IMHO...the bottom line for Mr. Martin is...you should run your business like a business should be run...or you should probably expect to go out of business...soon!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
hmmm

not only no action, but let's do the math. what, 50 bucks for a non exsistant club with over a 1000 members? Wow. Anyone wanna join my club? I need $$

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Gator, If you need a part you have a # to call that's local. I live in the center of the state you live in and most everything is free to opelers especiallly in state. What kind of car do you have and what parts are you needing? if your having a problem give a call.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, charged my visa 3 weeks ago, no parts yet!

Sportwagon75 said:
He could have the moon and stars in his inventory. Alot of good it's gonna do me if:
A) I can't reach him
B) He doesn't return phone calls, or
C) I pay for parts that never come or take months & months to arrive

IMHO...the bottom line for Mr. Martin is...you should run your business like a business should be run...or you should probably expect to go out of business...soon!!!
I can see now why everyone is pissed at Todd!!! Not only is he hard to get a hold of, once you do and pay for your parts a month or better goes by before he ships them to you??? This is bullshit and bordline against the law I would think! If you charge someone the money, your parts should be in your hands within the week! :mad: Extreamly bad business practice!!!

·
195 Posts
Unhappy campers

Well, It sounds like there are a lot of unhappy campers here. Just remember, when dealing with vehicles that are 30 plus years old, it does take time to research and restore these highly saught after vehicles. This does not excuse bad business practices and Todd should put himself in the shoes of the customer and ask himself if that is the way he would like to be treated. I have restored many a vehicle in my time and the thought that keeps me on an even keel is that eventually all good things come in time. Just remember, If you don't like shopping at K-mart (Todd) then WalMart (competitor, whoever that may be) is right across the street. Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used opels unlimited for years. I am on the fence on this one. I ordered a used weber and some other misc parts. It took a couple of weeks to get the parts. I was charged for things that I still have not received. This was a over a month ago. I am still waiting on transmission fluid cables that go to the radiator? I paid for them but never received them. He told me it would take some digging but still? So being on the fence, Every order I have placed with opgts i get in like two days or so, and the phone is always answered. Loyalty is a good thing but when you need something fast, you go to the option that will get it to you first!

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
Hi,
As a person that has never ordered from "Todd", and has ordered from OGTS, once, the horror stories are enough to keep me far away from a person/company that doesnt sound like they practice good business. Not answering the phone?Computer guys? take some digging to find it? OVER A MONTH? I would not put up with such a hap-hazard type of treatment. I've been monitoring this web-site for years and continuasly have heard such stories of unethical treatment from this place. While some have had a few pleasant dealings with him,the bad stories and warnings from others far outweigh them.
It is however understandable that bad things happen to good people now and then but for some reason, I do not believe this to be the case in his circumstance. It sounds like he deals with people when and where he feels like it usually with a sloppy "oh well" type of attitude. He knows people need opel parts and he has them, therefore making him King of the Hill! I am basing this opinion on everyones comments over the years, not from my own expierience. I wouldnt give him the chance! If I need a part for my car,I'm going with another vendor,down time means no driving time, and I would be P****D at someone taking that pleasure from me!!! OVER A MONTH FOR A PART?? GET REAL!!! JMTCW

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I've never ordered anywhere other than OGTS. Never had a problem, don't expect to. However running a business, and yes farming is a business. When I made a contract with Cargill last month, I had a month to move x amount of soybeans before a certain date. I have to fulfil my part of the contract and have the soybeans to the elevator with no excuses on my part. I have to find the tractor trailers, coordinate times of loadup, delivery and finally pay for the services rendered by the people involved in moving my product to the market. Some of these people I have worked with for over 25 years and never met them in person. Just a voice over the phone.
What does this have to do with the subject we're discussing? Trust, the ability to do what you say you are going to do, and finally deliver what you said you would. The only thing one has in this world is your WORD. If you can't keep it, then you will have problems forever.
I don't know Todd, and he probally is a good guy. He could be overwhelmed with business and no help. The only suggestion I would offer is to keep calling and when one finally gets through to him, explain their problem(s) and make him aware that he is alienating people and is damaging his business by his actions. Not need to holler, scream or curse. Be polite. Then call your credit card company,explain the situation, tell them to take the necessary actions needed. JM2CW, one time only, Jarrell

·
792 Posts
I have done a little business over the past 20 years with Todd and much more with Gil or Jim from USA Opel. I have visited all three of their operations on more than one occasion.

Todd's operation is amazing from the standpoint of used inventory but he:
1) Will not change his business style
2) Will not modernize his operation
3) Doesn't understand customer service... and doesn't need to
Love him or leave him

Gil'sl's operation is amazing from the standpoint of
1)efficiency
2) knowledge
3) customer service

Jim's operation is smaller than Todd's or Gil's and is also very efficient. USA Opel is full time his only business.

Gil Todd Gil and Jim all love Opels as we all do and each serve a purpose.
Caveat Emptor

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I agree with all posts, thanx. But....

I also have only delt with Gil at OGTS and am a satisfied customer all the way with Gil & Dennis there. However, Gil doesn't carry any 75 Manata fuel injection stuff and pushes his 2.0 injections system. I have a 75% complete 75 and needed parts, who has them??? Todd!!!! Got it! So Walmart or Kmart: if Walmart had them and didn't talk the product down because they don't carry them anymore and Kmart is the only screwing in town: you go to Kmart! :(

I don't know that Opels Unreachable will ever get my business again, as I too was told by Todd he bought out the former Opels Forever business. After reading nobodys post I can see there's still another player in town, thanks for the post as I might need them if Todd dosen't Sh_t me some pats soon I'll have to call my credit card provider and cancell!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
A few things come to mind on this topic.

Piss poor planning on the buyers part doesn't constitute an emergency for the seller. Plan a head, and plan to wait if you didn't plan ahead.

Some of you are looking for the demise of some vendors. Talk about a mistake, Diversity and the availability at all is the issue. Instant gratification is not possible when your dealing with restoring a 30 year old car. some parts are a beast to ship or even find. I've been looking for a bicycle box for shipping purposes for weeks. I'm still fighting for about the same time to get a box capable of holding a tranny.

Look before you leap. and if your that impatient and unforgiving the chances to finish it to drivable again are pretty slim.

On a side note those tranny lines are what 5 foot long and several bends. I've shipped all over the world and on that I would have said no way. Be glad you even found a source for originals that was willing to ship.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The tranny lines are about 2' metal and 18 inches braided adjustable. I don't know exactly how hard to find as I have never seen Todds setup. I have only seen pictures. Once found, shipping would take a box about 36" in length and not even as wide as a shoebox. A blueprint tube would be ideal, and any post office would have them. Regardless two months is a long time to wait for something of this nature. No biggie, I was told I can have them made locally for less than $50.00. out of brake line material. In my reply I wasn't trying to bash Todd. I was simply stating my current dilemma with opels unlimited. 2 months, $50.00 bucks, still no parts! It wasn't my planning that was piss poor! As for your tranny problem: Motorfreight. Simply put on a pallet, strap it, and call a local motorfreight company. I use motorfreight daily to ship compressors that are heavy( 80lbs) and it costs just a little more than UPS. I wouldn't put a tranny in a box, unless it was supported by a crate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts