Opel GT Forum banner

Tom Cavataio (Mach1Tom)

12K views 70 replies 56 participants last post by  newman27 
#1 · (Edited)
I just received the sad news of Tom's passing a few days after his 45th birthday.

Tom was an outstanding person. I am glad that our paths crossed so many times. He was an upfront guy who always had positive attitude despite his illness and losses the past few years.

More details will follow as they become available.

Rest in peace, Tom. You will be missed by all.

Gary

#4 ·
Tom, you will be truly missed

I am deeply saddened by the news of Tom's passing, but relieved to know that his suffering is over.

Over the past 10+ years, Tom was always there to help out everyone with advice, parts and friendship. Truly a great person.

When I got my first Kadett and needed brake cylinders I got them from Tom. When the box arrived there were all kinds of little goodies that he sent along with them. A truly giving person with a great heart...

Prayers for your journey to higher places, for your family, and for those of us who love ya.

Kat

#6 ·
We met Tom at our first Carlisle back in 2000 and continued our friendship throughout the years. Tom was one of the “founding members” of our NE Ohio/Western PA Opel Group. Tom came to every meet he could bringing his Opel knowledge, parts, good cheer and indomitable spirit .

Tom’s friendliness and generosity are well known. I remember the year we bought the DESTEC car and were frantically swapping out an engine to try to drive it to Carlisle. Tom called and told us “Hey, if you need some help, I can give you a day or two.” Tom and I spent 36 hours straight in the garage, while Allen was at work, and then he and Allen worked another day. Thanks to Tom, that car made it to Carlisle!

That is only one of many examples of Tom, his spirit and his contributions to the Opel Community. We will truly miss our friend!

Vickie & Allen

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
We lost great friend and truly one of the nicest people. He was a trooper all the way and did not complaint despite all the things that happened to him. I did not expect that I will see him when I arrived to his home last Monday but despite his condition, he said to his dad that he wanted to see me, so I was blessed to spend 10 minutes with him. Thank you Tom, I will always remember you.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Wow, this is indeed a sad day. Tom always wore a smile and would always help you with anything. It was an honor to have him as a friend. May he rest in peace.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tom Cavataio

Tom and I only met twice, he came to my home and looked at some Opel stuff I had for sale and to pick up some parts for another Pa. Opeler. We had a good conversation and he spent the night at my home as my guest, I was impressed with his demeanor and attitude toward his illness, it didn't stop him from going where he wanted to go and doing what he wanted to do until the very end. The truly nice people will live on in our memories and thoughts long after they have left this earth, and Tom will be around a long time. RIP Tom and safe passage to your rewards.

#13 ·
Indeed a sad loss to the opel community, Tom was indeed a person that would do just about anything for anyone that asked. He will be missed by all. Rest in Peace friend.

#19 · (Edited)
What can I say . . .

. . . that hasn't already been said? Tom was one of those "above and beyond", "once in a lifetime" friends that surprise you because they consider you a friend right from your first meeting. I was always surprised at how he exhibited such a sunny outlook in everything he did in spite of his very grave health problems for which there is, sadly, still no cure.

I lost a particularly treasured friend and am deeply saddened by his passing, even though he would have said that that is not what he would've wanted. Let us instead celebrate Tom's life and his influence on us all. He is in a better place, finally free from earthly pains, and will continue to be in my thoughts. My condolences to his family and all his friends!

#20 ·
We lost one of the great ones for sure. Chris and I met Tom at the RT 66 Show a few years back and had many email and phone conversations with him. Also had a chance to see him at Ron's place near Erie, Pa, when we took some parts out to Tom.
As already stated, you would have never met a more sharing, generous human being.
You will remain in our hearts and thoughts Tom. RIP

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
I only met Tom in person once just over a year ago at Vickie and Allen's. He insisted that I drive his GT and urged me to drive it anyway I liked, he said to make sure I re-caught the GT bug. When I just couldn't push it as hard as it was capable he took over at driving and showed me what his great running reworked 2.0 and 5 speed tranny could do. As we drove back into the backyard he looked over at me, smiled and just said "That should do it".

Everything said by the others all rings true and I will always remember him as the great gentleman I met that day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#29 ·
#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am very sad to receive this news about Tom. I didn't know that his illness had developed this far. I met Tom in Charlotte in -08, and had a couple of long nice talks with him. It didn't take me long to understand that he was a very nice guy. Meeting him then made me look forward to meeting him again.

You're one of the best. Rest in peace, Tom. My condolences to his family and friends.

#25 ·
I had known Tom for 8 years. He always drove his GT to North Carolina for the AutoFair every Spring and Fall, except for the past year. He did come to the show in late August, which was the last time I saw him. He stayed many nights in our home. He was the type of guy that always brought something, such as a bottle of wine, some Pennsylvania beer, etc. Something else he always brought with him.... A big grin on his face and a great attitude about life. Never complained about his problems at all. We did discuss some things in private but even then, he never complained.

Tom was one of the truly great guys that anyone would be proud to call a friend. Tom was always there to help people and he helped me on many occasions. I guess I could keep on and on about Tom because there is so much good stuff to say.

Rest in peace, my friend......

#26 ·
I met Tom in 2004 when I first started going to Carlisle and Springfield. He was truly one of the best. He did me a big favor a few years ago by modifying a pair of Solstice seat frames to fit my GT, asking nothing in return. I'll think of him every time I drive the car.

We'll all miss him. My condolences to his family.

Don McLean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.