Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Opeler
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend is the Barrett-Jackson auto auction from Palm Beach and I plan on watching most of it. In January, we watched all gazillion televised hours from Scottsdale. It's my dream to one day watch a beautiful Opel GT roll across that stage... preferably one I owned (if I could bear to part with it!) Does anyone think that we'll ever see one of our beloved Opels there?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i dont think our cars get enough mainstream attention, and most cars that sell there are big dollar cars, which doesn't come to mind with the word opel unfortunately. hopefully we'll see one one day, hopefully the rarity of the car can get it in the auction.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Did you ever see the show about one way they get cars for the auction? They send out teams of buyers to go to car shows, scour classifieds, etc. looking for cars they can buy cheap and sell high. This probably wouldn't happen with an Opel, would it? They can buy them cheap enough but would they be worth the risk to try to auction them off?
I agree with Jared, the Opels just aren't the kind of cars the B-J Auction is interested in, nor would be the people who are in the market for unique autos.
I bet that an incredibly customized, (nowhere near stock) extremely modified GT could possibly make it there, but how many of them exist? So far, probably none to that extent.
The people who buy those ultra-high-dollar cars are usually just making a short term investment, they have some fun with them and sell them.
I love to watch that auction too, you see some incredible cars there. I saw that one Zephyr go for almost a million dollars, and to think, I once parked my Suburban next to it while we had lunch at the Hot Rod Cafe (Stateline, between Couer d'Alene and Spokane WA)...
A friend of mine (and a sponsor of my race car) tries to be in that hobby, so far his Willys has done as well as second place at the Oakland Roadster show.
He has about $250 grand into that car. It's the orange one at the show website. From Whitefish MT. He will sell it as soon as he gets an offer that exceeds his investment AND buys the car to replace it. What a game! People actually make a living doing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts