Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m putting together some spare parts , as I have made the rear deck lid a lockable , removable parts store, and I want a small tool crib that won’t weigh 30 lbs. and take up a lot of space.
A little help or suggestion with a basic set of wrenches and sockets etc.would be appreciated…..
I toured Colorado back in the late 70s with an old leather shave kit with a set of points, condenser and distributor cap, a few smaller wrenches ,and never needed anything else.
Those were great days….
Please offer some suggestions.
Looking forward to meeting fellow Opel Enthusiasts.

·
Über Genius
10,021 Posts
Wrenches and sockets in the following sizes
8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm 17mm
Ratchet plus 3" and 6" extensions. Universal swivel won't hurt.
Pair of pliers. Pair of vice grips (medium sized).
Straight and phillips screwdrivers.
8' of 18g wire.
A few electrical connectors. Wire cutters.

And of course tire iron spare tire, jack.

Any tools needed beyond those and you probably have bigger problems than you can solve at the side of the road.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,754 Posts
I am bringing all my grandpa‘s metric sockets and wrenches he doesn’t have that many. Then an assortment of screw drivers. 2 spare tires. We are trailering my car but we are bringing this stuff just in case.

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
17,007 Posts
I would add that some spare 6+8mm bolts might be a good idea.

Is your car a fresh new build, maybe with new bolts? Brand new bolts can sometimes vibrate loose, especially on the exhaust.

During my first trip of about 150 miles to Carlisle, I lost 5 of the 6 headpipe-to-exhaust manifold bolts at the halfway mark coming home. I had brought a cantilever jack and I found a big rock on the side of the road and that let me lift the car enough to install the 5 missing bolts, which I stole from various places in the engine compartment. By the time I had gotten home, 4 of those bolts had fallen out. I had used new stainless steel allen bolts everywhere when I fixed up the car. I had never really driven it and only got the headlights working at 2am the previous night. In my experience, exhaust bolts need to rust in place for a while. Consequently, DON"T USE SS BOLTS on your exhaust. They don't rust.

:)

·
1,808 Posts
11mm socket and wrench for the water pump and fuel pump is the most forgotten tools, an SAE 7/16 may help if you do not have the metric 11 mm.
HTH

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a big tool kit that comes in a large foldout blow-molded (cheap) plastic case. It has American & metric sockets and wrenches plus screwdrivers etc.
I like it because when finished I can see what is not in place and find what’s missing. I add a few items like visegrips and a few screwdrivers. Some duct and electrical tape is added for good luck.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,695 Posts
Timing light (confirms timing and spark) in no start situation.

2 gals distilled water.

If you are running an electronic ignition, a full replacement distributor with points is a good back up.

Spare fuel pump electrical or mechanical, to match what you have.

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Senior Contributor
695 Posts
Wrenches and sockets in the following sizes
8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm 17mm
Ratchet plus 3" and 6" extensions. Universal swivel won't hurt.
Pair of pliers. Pair of vice grips (medium sized).
Straight and phillips screwdrivers.
8' of 18g wire.
A few electrical connectors. Wire cutters.

And of course tire iron spare tire, jack.

Any tools needed beyond those and you probably have bigger problems than you can solve at the side of the road.
Feeler gauges, to set point or lifters, flashlight, don't forget a little FORD repair kit baling wire. I am gonna take a chance on my 17-year-old barn find, and take no tools with me, if it breaks it breaks. In 50-plus years of driving Opels, they always got me there by hook or crook. Never by the hook.

·
Über Genius
10,021 Posts
Feeler gauges, to set point or lifters, flashlight, don't forget a little FORD repair kit baling wire. I am gonna take a chance on my 17-year-old barn find, and take no tools with me, if it breaks it breaks. In 50-plus years of driving Opels, they always got me there by hook or crook. Never by the hook.
Feeler gauges? Pfft
A credit crd is .030
An envelope is .004
A dollar bill is @.005 (depends on how worn it is.

Roadside mechanic knowledge!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Take no tools with you.

Here's why...

Whatever you choose to take with you, naturally, you will not need. We all know this. You will always end up needing the tools you didn't take with you. The more tools you bring, the more you push this into esoteric malfunctions. Is that how you want your car to break? Of course not.

So take nothing. That way when something breaks, it'll be something simple and easy to fix.

You can't beat fate, you have to outsmart it.

·
Über Genius
10,021 Posts
Way back when, I used a match book cover to set the points when on the road.
A matchbook cover will work but it's only @.010

I've spent 40 years in the printing industry so I know my papers (and plastic cards) :cool:

·
Über Genius
10,021 Posts
Also, FWIW, I took my GT on it's maiden voyage about 400 miles round trip. Far from a stock setup.
The only problems I had were a pin that came out of the transmission and had to be put back in and the charger wires to the alternator were too short and kept unplugging.

319 miles shouldn't be a problem. (Get roadside assistance)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts