Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a problem, I screwed up and ran two test races prior to rebuilding the torque tube center support. All in all.. no real problem, as expected the bushings disintegrated and threatened to punt the joint through the floor board.

I had already ordered the replacement bushings from Gil and had them ready. I finally got under the car to inspect how bad they were since they are the only original pieces of rubber left under the car since I started this build, and well.. yeah.. BLOOOIE!!!!

I yank it apart, clean things up and test fit the center with the heavy duty support bushings only since they look HUGE!!! They don't fit! Diameter is not an issue, but the length of them is. They will not slide into the center support once they are threaded into the torque tube mount points.

I have the HD doughnut in and the poly upper stop in as well, but these bushings are long. When I line it up to where one side would slide in, the other side is about 1/4" to 3/8" past the support frame.

Has anyone else run into this, am I missing something like needing to compress them some how? Next race is in 5 days and I am hoping I don't need different bushings and am just missing an installation issue.

I did email Gil and send him a picture begging for help too, just am trying to resolve this as quickly as possible and am being impatient.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Ryan, as fast as these guys are to respond here, a search is usually quicker. There is a complete sub-forum on the drive shaft and rear axle to help find answers. Here is a link to all the responses in that forum. You can quickly eliminate most as they are for the axle. Good luck! -- Doug

4B - Propeller Shaft and Central Joint

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ryan, as fast as these guys are to respond here, a search is usually quicker. There is a complete sub-forum on the drive shaft and rear axle to help find answers. Here is a link to all the responses in that forum. You can quickly eliminate most as they are for the axle. Good luck! -- Doug

4B - Propeller Shaft and Central Joint
Thanks, I did some searching using the upper right search box and got nowhere. Dug through sub-forums that made sense for the topic and came up empty as well. It would seem thatba blood hound, I am not. I generally search snd research before "admitting my ignorance" on a question, just have a hard time finding what I am looking for here when I do, every search result starts with "Gordo's GTX"! ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Center support bushings - HD seem to long

Since I figured out how to see all the posts in here, found controls at the bottom.. DOH.. I figured I would start this thread in the proper place and add the picture worth a thousand words. I saw the picture of PJ Romano's HD center support bushings and they do not look like these, they seem shorter pinched in the middle.

My new bushings are 40.35mm in length from mounting surface to mounting surface, and extend way past the support bracket when lined up where they should go.

Gil is shipping new ones as well as the lower snubber that fell apart, but I am curious if these are the wrong bushings period. Maybe for a Kadett or other car.

I am pulling the torque tube completely out tonight to fight with it out of the car, but with as much space as I have around the tube to position the support, it makes no sense that I should need to.

Oh well, I am out of the race this weekend anyway so I can take my time fiddling with it.

This rear end will being getting replaced with a built 8 3/4" so I don't want to go crazy on it's tweaks and modifications, especially since I am still testing with a stock engine for now, I just need to get the support back together and not try to punt the joint through the bottom of the car! LOL

I can see it being a tight fit, with a little prying, but I don't see how that 1/4" to 3/8" overhang will pry in.

Anyone run into this issue?

Ryan

Attachments

·
1,183 Posts
Since I figured out how to see all the posts in here, found controls at the bottom.. DOH.. I figured I would start this thread in the proper place and add the picture worth a thousand words. I saw the picture of PJ Romano's HD center support bushings and they do not look like these, they seem shorter pinched in the middle.

The picture shows the aftermarket ones that OGTS used to sell.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The picture shows the aftermarket ones that OGTS used to sell.
Yup, I ordered them a month or so ago with good intentions of putting them in prior to testing the car. Then.. well.. got side tracked by the car actually moving under its own power! So I ran two autocross races with it while testing brakes, steering and engine response.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just pry them in. There is no other way. Standard bushings are even longer (but softer).
So pretty much give and up take the tube out from under the car, get the support in a vice or something to hold it, then have at it with pry bars, lube and foul language. Glad to have the confirmation that they are correct though. I just need the new lower snubber/stop to show up and I can start getting violent with it.

Thanks.

·
Opel Key Master
4,951 Posts
One note about the HD bushings that nobody seems to mention, maybe nobody has noticed, but the original style bushings have a hex head on the end that bolts to the support housing, and the housing has one tab sticking up that hold the hex by two opposite flats. The new bushings are smooth on the sides. I use a brass punch and flatten the tabs before I install the HD bushings. This will help so they do not catch on the edge when installing.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One note about the HD bushings that nobody seems to mention, maybe nobody has noticed, but the original style bushings have a hex head on the end that bolts to the support housing, and the housing has one tab sticking up that hold the hex by two opposite flats. The new bushings are smooth on the sides. I use a brass punch and flatten the tabs before I install the HD bushings. This will help so they do not catch on the edge when installing.
Thanks, I will double check that and flatten that area out. I am just startled at how much they have to be squeezed, or pried to get them in. Almost doesn't seem possible, but I was under the car with no leverage to speak of. Wondering it a big C clamp will squish one enough to get it started into the support when tap it in the rest of the way.

Once I can build the new rear end, all this goes away! Until then.. better keep things solid under there!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
The bolts that go into the aftermarket bushings from the outside are notorious for loosening and falling out. The threads are cut too loose or something. Make sure to Loktite the heck out of them or use some other method.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bolts that go into the aftermarket bushings from the outside are notorious for loosening and falling out. The threads are cut too loose or something. Make sure to Loktite the heck out of them or use some other method.

All good.. I have the Harley / Kart edition bottle of Loctite from "Costco"! LOL I glue EVERYTHING!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As has already been mentioned, OGTS now sells ones that look like OEMs. I saw them last month at Gil's store/shop
Gil is sending me another pair, pretty sure the OEM style looking ones, with the lower snubber and pinion seal so that I have options. Which ever will go in.. is going in! LOL

·
Can Opeler
3,260 Posts
I just ended up taking the rear end completely out to do it. It probably ended up being quicker in the long run. It's not too bad when you can use a hammer to convince the mount to go over the bushings. I don't remember having a huge amount of trouble getting them in, but it took me a couple hours to align both bolt holes. No matter what it wanted to go in crooked.
I don't buy any of the heavy duty parts unless they are all thats left because they are all way oversized and always need modifications to fit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone, I hope to get the torque tube out and cleaned up and start playing with it this weekend while I wait for the lower snubber to arrive. As long as I know they bushings are right and will "fit", then I can devise a method to convince them that they want to be in there.

I was hoping I could avoid pull the tube off the center section, but no matter. One way or another I'll get them in.

The hardest part seems to be waiting for parts to arrive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again everyone! With your answers and insight the big HD moose balls are in the support, it's all back together and passed a road test so off th the races this Sunday!

Oh, and the new parts showed up 15 minutes after the road test!

Now to build my new rear end as quickly as possible!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am in the middle of a torque tube rebuilt - got the doughnut, the softer one, and got it in without too much trouble, boiled for 10 minutes and well lubricated, however have what appears to be the bushings from OPGTS that are a bit too long - did I get these by mistake or has someone found a way to get that very stiff non pliable material to give enough to get it into the tube and then actually get the screws through the holes. Just want to make sure that I have my ducks in a correct row prior to forcing the issue - no pun intended, well maybe a little.....If there are others out there that have been successful, in forcing the issue, I would appreciate knowing the tricks of the trade prior to proceeding. Many thanks for your assistance. I could not do this without the knowledge from those that have preformed these tasks prior to me. Thanks again....Carl

·
Über Genius
8,874 Posts
Screw it on first. Then with a large screwdriver, a LOT of swear words, extra life insurance and a first aid kit, pry them over the edge and maneuver them into place.

Have someone ready to dial 911. Drink lots of fluids (not beer!) first

1 - 20 of 25 Posts