Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out the Gt I just bought and it has a "knock" from the rear end upon acceleration. I lifted the car and noticed that @ the torque tube entrance,there is a lot of play. So much so that the U-joint has actually bumped the undercarriage.

It appears that I'll need a new centering donut, and bearing. Am I correct? Also, what else would you recommend replacing with these as long as I'm there?

Thanks!

Beannachd leibh,

Scot

·
Registered
456 Posts
What you might try, at least as a temporary measure, is to slip some fuel line or heater hose (whichever fits tight enough to where it won't just fall out) up around the rubber donut, and inside the metal housing. There is a hole in the housing at (or near?) the bottom that you can slide the hose thru. I had a GT many years ago that banged like yours does and it stopped it......to the point that I forgot about it and never did replace the donut.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I will try that today. I was nervous about trying this around the donut, as I've only read of the rope/belt trick of slipping material 'inside' the donut. Mine looks trashed.

Scot

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
In addition to the donut, there are two rubber mounts on the torque tube to body mount. I had one rip and everytime I went around a corner, it made the knocking sound. I suggest you replace them while you are installing the donut. They are easy to replace, they just unscrew.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
This is my experience with that part of the car. Almost every item mentioned is a pain to replace but extremely important to have it right. I would gather up all the pieces and do it once. You wil be dropping the torque tube to do any one item so it makes sense to do whatever is needed. Also becouse they are dependant on each other you could put one item in and have something else get worse.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, spent last night outside. Pissed wife off. I now know she is jealous. I digress...

I went and popped in an exhaust donut inside the torque tube in the same place the original donut sits. Just right on top of the old donut. It actually sort of snapped into place. Surprised me. Hopefuly that will help.

I checked the two side rubber mounts after digging fingerful after fingerful of sandy greasy coagulation from the toque tube holding flange. They looked very good. The top one looked a little squashed. Is it supposed to look that way?

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Even though they look good, unless you drop the torque tub mount, you can't tell if one if broken or ripped.

Unbolting the torque tube support can lead to a few suprises. To unbolt the torque tube support, place a floor jack under the mount because when you un bolt it, it will spring down a few inches due to load on the tube. After you unbolt the monut from the body, slowly lower the floor jack until it no longer touches the tube mount. All stress will be relieved at that point. You will need the floor jack to reinstall the torque tube mount. The floor jack makes this job much easier.

If it has the original pinion seal, remove the torque tube from the rear(4 star bolts) and replace this seal. The seal is inexpensive and easy to install once the torque tube is out. You might want to replace the rear wheel bearings, but that is another story. Remember it is cheaper to replace these parts now, than to look for another rear axle(and this won't leave you stranded)

sorry to rattle on, just my 0.02.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts