Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have aquired an opel gt and i need to rebuild the engine, i have taken all of the water pump off and exhaust/intake. now i need to take off the timing chain, and the head, there are some twelve pointed torx bolts bor both, i cant find any of these type of torx wrenches if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated

Russell Simmons :cool:

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
They're metric internal 12 point bits, and they're commonly used on Opel, VW, and Audi, so they're definitely obtainable. Lisle is probably the cheapest brand to get.

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
The auto tools store that I bought mine from referred to them as "three square" drivers, and they came in a pack with 6,8,10,and 12 mm sizes (if I remember correctly).

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Pic of Tools

Here is a picture of the 12-point bits that grace my tool box - the first pair of K-D Tools items bought off eBay at enormous expense - the remaining K-D Tools one given to me by someone at work after seeing the eBay items - and the PowerBuilt set found a month or two later in a local DIY Store PowerBuilt
display area........
Long ones are required to reach both the Head bolts and the Cam bolts.

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Where at in Michigan are you? if not too far i may let you borrow mine.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
jared..that's my Friend russel..the one that is helping me build the dune buggy. Now with just the opel engine and some other body, but he's the one I was talkin about.. therefore, Saginaw :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the help with the tool names and such

i live in saginaw and i would like to borrow your set if possible, i would also like to see the gt that jon has told me all about. is it possible for me to come visit this weekend?

thanks jon for everything
and everyone else

russell Simmons :cool:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
you could some out this weekend if you'd like, but you must return the tools somehow, by post or making another trip, as i need to regasket mine soon also.

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
They are not actually torx, they are "star" bolts, any good automotive supply house should have them, if not, try mcmaster.com, they have everything under the sun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What size bit do the head bolts take? 12mm? I think (I hope) I have a blown head gasket causing the compression test to be 120, 60, 80, 130psi. My local Miller Auto Parts has them, but I havn't bought them yet cause I'm not sure of the size. They come in packs of 6, 8, 10, and 12mm and are made by Performace tools and they call them Triple Square bits.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
SeventyThreGT;

Where in Central PA are you? I'm in eastern PA and I have a set for the Head Bolts and Cam Gear. I don't know the size off the top of my head but I can loan them to you if you need. Let me know.

Jeff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
jlthunder;

I'm in Clearfield PA. Thanks for the offer, but after digging out my chilton's manual I found that they are 12mm, so I'm just gonna go buy some.

thanks

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Get a FSM

SeventyThreeGT;

Get a Factory Service Manual(FSM) They are much better than Chiltons. They pop up on E-bay every once in a while. There is a guy in Syracuse NY which sells these and dealer brochures. I don't remember his name or business but I'm sure someone here can help you out. Good Luck :) Will we see you at Carlisle??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts