Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Opel GTer
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so heres the deal. I have messed with the wireing in my 70 GT far to long. Someone rewired it but didnt use the same colored or allways the same guage wire. well Some years back, before the opel became a lawn ornament, while working on it in the rain, somthing fried...big time....like smoke filled cab.
then whenever you turned the key, the horn would come on. Most anoying.
after much much time under my dash, behind my dash, and on the phone to Dennis at OGS. I finally just cut the horn wire. no more horn but obviously didnt solve the prob. The box is all warped as well as most of the plugs so I guess its time to rewire. Any help is very appreciated. New harness? used harness? build harness? where to find a new or used. I think it would be best to just strip a good one off of another gt. what do you all think?
Clayton

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Clayton,
I am in the same boat as you. After much research (using the search here and talking to other Opel owners) I am doing a complete rewiring. I know it sounds a bit drastic but I figure between the time doing it now and time chaseing the electricle gremlimes I will be head of the game doing it this way.

I purchased from "Going Manta" a EZ wiring harness. Since my car has been completly gutted it should be easy to put in. I have not done this yet but it is on the list of things to do.

Good luck

·
Opeler
159 Posts
i'm at the beginning of a rewire using the ez wiring harness. the wires are nicely labelled but not the same color coding (obviously) as the opel. i'm a little hung up on the plugs they supply for the ignition and flashers/hazard. anyone figured them out or do i just cut and splice them into the opel plugs/flasher? the headlight relays also look to be a small issue (the opel engineers really liked headlight relays, didn't they?).
bob

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Clayton, most horn problems come from a short up front that causes the plastic ring that shields the horn button to melt. Or it simply breaks or has no springs for the contact ring. Pop the horn button off and remove the screws and the brass ring to see what I'm talking about.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Same Boat

Ok, Im in the same boat. I have the EZ21 I got from Charles and I am going to start stripping the interior of my car this evening to do the rewire.

I say that we start an EZWIRE post and all of us that are in this process can post our findings, triumphs and tribulations so we can all help each other through this very intimidating and horrifying experience. Ill post this here and then I will create the EZWIRE thread and come back here and link to it.

Some questions I have right off the bat.

1) Im guessing you can go and buy new plugs pretty easily. Where did you get them?

2) How did you cover all those guages and switches in the dash? Obviously the ez wire kit will not be specific to all those things, but what do you do? Make splices? Im confused on that one.

3) My tumblers went out in my ignition years ago so I have a push button under the dash. How to I do the rewire to include that? Or, should I snag a different steering column that has a good ignition switch and key? I have one available.

4) I have the one plug S-10 upgraded alternator. Not understanding where the wires go on that one when I look at the Destec Wiring Diagram. How do I rewire that?

5) Finally, anyone that has done this before. What are some tips and warnings?!?!?

Ok, heres the link. http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=67762#post67762

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
Do a search for an alternator upgrade, there is a great thread on exactly how to use a single wire alternator. I left my GT folder at home today, I have the thread printed out, if you can't find it let me know and I will look up the number, although I'm sure somebody out there knows it. I also have almost completed a diagram of the rear wiring harness including all color coding and wire gauges and lengths. If you guys need it let me know and I will speed up the process.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Well Jeff, you just opened the door. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Speed it up!!! :p

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
rsefczek said:
i'm at the beginning of a rewire using the ez wiring harness. the wires are nicely labelled but not the same color coding (obviously) as the opel. i'm a little hung up on the plugs they supply for the ignition and flashers/hazard. anyone figured them out or do i just cut and splice them into the opel plugs/flasher? the headlight relays also look to be a small issue (the opel engineers really liked headlight relays, didn't they?).
bob
OK.. DON'T cut the EZ wiring headlight circuit or flashers. Not neccessary.

The only hangup will be the Headlights on the GT. My thought is that you would simply Use the switch in the dash for the parking lights to trigger a relay that would turn on the headlights, and parking lights. Eliminating the microswitches.

The turn signals, etc... are just ran like they are labeled. You will have to figure out the column connections, but it isnt too hard with the factory wiring diagram and a multimeter.

IF You look at the directions I have done for the Manta (http://www.goindesign.com/EZ4manta.pdf) you will see how I incorporated the EZ harness with the Opel one, and if luck would have it that the Manta color codes and GTS are the same it will make it doubly easy. That said I have not checked to see if the color codes are the same.

As for the horn, You will run the horn wire to the horn, you will simply ground the second wire at the horn to the body of the car. You will not have two wires to the horn anymore.

I hope with all those doing the Ez harness I can get some to download the Manta PDF and modify it for the GT so I can make a set of GT specific directions.

Charles

·
7,574 Posts
soybean said:
Thom, here is one thread I followed when I upgraded to the 1 wire upgrade. Now I am curious too as to how this will apply to the EZ wiring harness upgrade
Actually it simplifys the install of the EZ harness since the EZ is designed around a basic GM Installation. Just download the universal directions and follow the directions for a GM one wire alternator.

OH I forgot to mention to everyone..

Be sure to download the Universal directions I created :

http://www.goindesign.com/ebay/EZ20manual.pdf

They are much clearer and easier to follow than what comes with the harness currently.

Charles

·
7,574 Posts
Thom71GT said:
1) Im guessing you can go and buy new plugs pretty easily. Where did you get them?
Not neccessary the only one you will need are the headlights, they are included in the packet you got.

Things like wiper motors, etc.. you can either do like I did and that is just use female lugs and wire it that way one wire at a time.

YOu will notice all the male/femal plug sizes through out the Opel are no different than the ones you can get at the electrical dept at Home Depo. So just go get a bunch of male and female lugs from them before you start.

Thom71GT said:
2) How did you cover all those guages and switches in the dash? Obviously the ez wire kit will not be specific to all those things, but what do you do? Make splices? Im confused on that one.
Simple, the dash lights are powered by the parking light circuit. The oil sending wire connects to the oil pressure guage.

The basic directions cover wiring the basic ammeter.

Simply put you will have wires to feed the different circuits as labeled in the EZ harness. That feeds either the power or the ground signal to the gauge.

There should be one gauge power feed required and that will come from the EZ harness. All the grounds can go to ANY ground. I built a ground block with a big ground wire to the body, with a bunch of terminals to hook up all the loose grounds.

Refer to the Manta directions to see how I did the Manta, the GT is similar, it seems more complex just looking at it, but the principal is the same.

Thom71GT said:
3) My tumblers went out in my ignition years ago so I have a push button under the dash. How to I do the rewire to include that? Or, should I snag a different steering column that has a good ignition switch and key? I have one available.
Actally this makes it easier. You know exactly where to wire the ignition power to.. Instead of the column you will terminate it at the push button.

Thom71GT said:
4) I have the one plug S-10 upgraded alternator. Not understanding where the wires go on that one when I look at the Destec Wiring Diagram. How do I rewire that?
Its a simple circuit and in the universal directions. Look under GM page 11 I believe.

Thom71GT said:
5) Finally, anyone that has done this before. What are some tips and warnings?!?!?
Yes, on the Manta though. Yes it is intimidating at first, but in reality it ends up being quite simple.

Rule #1 - READ THE DIRECTIONS - ALL OF THEM

Rule #2 - DON'T CUT wires within the circuits. Unless you have done a complete trace and understand exactly what you are cutting and why.

Rule #3 - THESE Directions: http://www.goindesign.com/ebay/EZ20manual.pdf

Rule #4 - DON'T get intimidated.. its much easier that it seems at first

Rule #5 - Preplan the project.. seperate and go through the rewiring in your head with the diagrams, instructions and harness before you start. The more familiar you are with the harness before you start the easier it will be.

Rule #6 - READ THE DIRECTIONS - ALL OF THEM

Rule #7 - FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS now that you read them twice.

·
Opeler
159 Posts
thanks for the additional info, charles. the original gt wiring ran part of the turn signal circuit through the hazard switch (as well as the flasher can). any idea why and why it's not necessary on the ez harness?

bob

·
7,574 Posts
rsefczek said:
thanks for the additional info, charles. the original gt wiring ran part of the turn signal circuit through the hazard switch (as well as the flasher can). any idea why and why it's not necessary on the ez harness?

bob
Because the EZ wiring harness has TWO flasher circuits Turn and Hazard.

So you should bascially wire the turn signal switch seperate of the hazard, and the hazard will be wired to the hazard switch. This was the trickiest circuit for me to sort out on the Manta. But overall it wasnt terribly difficult comparing the two diagrams. (EZ and Opel)

Charles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.