Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to occasionally tow my opel 250 miles or so...

I saw this on ebay..is this a good design?Maybe I could have one welded up for me.

what si a good way to tow?do front wheels need to be off ground?

I plan to tow it behind my chevy susurban,,it already has a heavy duty -builtin hitch

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
HEY!!! thats my old towbar off a part car...LOL. i sold one of the part cars and i let the guy have that too. its really a nice piece, it has 4 holes drilled in it and it mounts using the same holes as the bumper brackets use that hold it to the front subframe. i sent a picture of this bracket while it was still on a car to jordan a while ago but i dought he still has it.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
(psst, its upside down)lol

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
towing

if u have a manual trans u dont have to have the front wheels off the ground, with a auto trans depending on the type of car and the year of the car u would need to find out if it had a rear pump or not otherwise say good by to the driveline.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Depending on how often "occasionally" is, you may want to even look at renting, or purchasing, or, the ultimate, find a friend that has a tow dolly.

Depending on your ground affects, the two wheel dolly works really good. For long term, serious hauling, the trailer dolly is great.

Plus, with a dolly, you don't have to remove part of the car to transport.

Sometimes you can find some of the older generation, who have motorhomes, selling off their older dollies to upgrade to newer, wider ones.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Those dollies are great. I towed my GT from Topeka through the 8 mile construction zone on I-70 and it was alot smoother ride than a full trailer. Lighter load too, which is always nicer on the wallet.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
hey jordan, got a pic of when the towbar was still on the car...? maybe it wasnt you but i sent one to somebody.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
come to think of it, i think his name was Dan.,...?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
that was the towbar on the partcar, the way it was when i got it. it fits below the bumper and uses the same mounting holes as the bumper brackets. Jordan:thanks for posting that!!!.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts