Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
19693SGTEOPEL said:
please keep us up to date on this.
I've unfortunately made no progress on the axle. In fact I've not worked in the garage in a couple months now. I've been investing almost ALL my free time in the GRM project...

I've got a torsen style LSD on back order and expect to start back up on the axle soon after it arrives.

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,617 Posts
jeff denton said:
Not to stray excessively from the actual subject, but, is such a thing as GT differential "spool" (deletes the side gears and spider gears) available? Or shall I plan on having one made? Any ideas?In other words, Hi Bob, how are you today?:)
Yes there is. It's called a MIG welder.

We've always simply welded the rear diff's on our circle track cars, there are no actual spools commercially available. BTW, running a locked diff with the Ascona/Manta chassis anyway, we needed very little stagger in the car for a 31 degree banked 1/4 mile track...only 1.75" front and 3/4" to 7/8" rear were needed to get even temps across the tread of the tires. Most of the Fords ran at least twice that much.

Bob

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Thanks! What got me into the Toyota axle swap discussion was the recent memory of reading about the GT diff having weak spider gears. Not that I can use other than "original" differential, but with your experience, do you think I am going to have a problem with it? I've heard of welding the gears, will that strengthen or weaken it and, just exactly how is it done? I'm guessing you weld the spider gear to the side gear... On our Fords we run a 9-inch with a spool but this car will be a little different...

·
648 Posts
I'm thinking that the 9" may be a little over-kill weight wise. Boy, it could sure handle the ponies though. Imagine the stopping power with some large Ford discs on the rear. Might even break the car in half during a panic stop!
Being a little more serious, I was curious how you all are handling the torque tube issue with the Toyota rear end?
Bestus,
Head-less James

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Unfortunately, or maybe it's a good thing, but the rules of racing in our local compact class specify the car will run the rear end that came stock in that car, here again, if questioned, just who around here would know the difference? But, for openers I fully intend to abide by the rules and avoid trouble...
Thus, I gotta work with what we got, ya know?
Being a truck and heavy equipment mechanic, I do appreciate overkill in the differential department. People thought I was nuts when I put a 3/4 ton diff under my S10 pickup. I don't break axles in that one anymore...

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This is a close up of the third link mount on the body. It's a bit hard to see whats happening so I'll explain. On the inside of the car I welded a piece of steel angle to the floor width wise. It's welded to the hump on one end and to the shelf support on the other end. The right angle of the steel is pointing upward. I cut the floor out from under the angle where needed and welded two 3/16" plates to it as shown.

-Travis

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
A shot of the sway bar. The bar is a 3/4" Kadett bar from Addco. I cut a few inches off the end and welded the small angle on. Thanks to Bob for the sugestion on how to do this as it is simpler than what I was planning to do...

-Travis

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,617 Posts
Hmmm, let me guess Travis, you've had a pretty thorough thaw and now you can finally get to your garage? Glad to see you're working on the GT again, it won't be long before racing season is here. I hope to be the one to provide a report of your first Solo 2 with your 'new' GT. The Hoosier slicks loan offer still stands.

Sadly, my weekend has been decidedly non-Opel, I am continuing to wrench on my Nissan instead in hopes of running some hillclimbs with it. BUT, there's another possible project car in the works........and it IS an Opel.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
It's been more a matter of time than snow. However, now that the snow is almost gone they're predicting another 9" tonight:)

Bob, I'm not sure if I want my first event in this car publicized...

Here's another shot of the rear. It sure was nice working on the floor of the car while standing

-Travis

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
I made a Moderator decision and moved this thread to the "Engine Swap Forum", since most (if not all) differential swaps are related to engine swaps. Except when RallyBob gets involved with an ultimate CIH tune up.

·
1,973 Posts
how is it that you have your opel on its side for the axel conversion?

·
1,973 Posts
that is amazing! ive got to get me one of them!

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It depends. If you have leaks it'll be all over the floor. Otherwise, everything will be OK

Yes, it's only usefull if the suspension is mostly there. The jack points sounds like a great approach except that every car is different.

-Travis

41 - 60 of 61 Posts