Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
There was a 4 cylinder in the Celica. They had the same body for a while, maybe you're confused. The 22-RE from the Celica would definitely fit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am planning on a 22R transplant myself and if that is the engine your thinking of here are some things I have found out and am planning myself.
Ok firstly the 22RTE is going to be a little tall to just fit in either you will wind up with a hell of a hood scoop or to do it right your going to need to get a Dry sump with a remote oil system which is $790.00 to $1200.00 also manufacture a pair of engine mounts to drop the engine. custom made Transmission crossmember to mirror the same drop of engine, Try Travis's Toyota rear end conversion(you can do a search on this web board and find the thread... he did a good job BTW). Custom Drive shaft. You will need the rearend , they say stock GT rearends hold up to around 150HP so I would figure around about the same amount of torque and you will soon be seeing problems with a stock rearend. From what I remember of the 22RTE your looking at about 190 hp and 170 tq (close anyway) , To save your car from a chance of warping under those stress conditions your going to need to put in some uni-body frame ties. That little of torque probably wouldn't bother the GT but why take the chance? If your not planning on radically changing the engine after the transplant make sure you get the ECU with the motor and most definitely the wiring harness. Another way i am researching this transplant is Custom Fabricating a front end Chassis change I just haven't completed my research and commited to any one choice yet, The internet is the world's greatest research tool going and there is all sort's of info out there. LC Engineering is a great source for 20R-22R series motors. THose guys know what they're talking about. DOA is another pretty good source. As far as suspension Mods, until I finish my research goodluck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at the engine out of a manual for the Celica and Supra 1980-1987 so it might have been out of a Celica. How much of a hood scoop do I need to fit a 22R out of a Toyota 1985 pickup truck. Because there is one I can get from Opel GT source, or is that not tall enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to the forum but have had a '70 gt since 95. I have owned 7 toyota supras and yes virtually all supras come with an inline 6 cylinder. HOWEVER, supposedly in 86 1/2 to 87, toyota made a turbo 4 (Japan only) when they realized the 200hp 7mge n/a motor was not enough for the fat pig of an mk3 (read 3500lbs). This motor never made big production because the 4 banger didn't have enough TQ to keep up with the 300Zx. So a ct26 turboed 7mgTe was born. I plan on doing the measurements because I've always thought about a 7mgte in the opel. If it can be done it would be the cheapest part of a big hp upgrade for an engine swap. I'd suggest it any day over a v8. A bone stock 7mgte (copper head gasket) will make 400-450hp to the wheels. With forged pistons up to 550-600 without porting. Plus they last forever and the quality is ten times better than american motors. The shop I use raves about the quality of the toyota/yamaha 5mge or 7mgte engines that I bring in.
If I couldn't go with a six, i'd use a toyota/yamaha 3sgte. They will support 500+hp with a stock bottom end! They don't have the torque but then I don't have to tube frame the daylights out of it.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Some of the Honda motors rotate in the opposite direction!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are some other threads about the honda s2000 motor but it does rotate in the traditional direction. The problem is that it doesn't make its peak hp of just over 200 till 8300rpms. TQ averages 130 ft/lbs. and it isn't getting close to 100hp till 4k rpms!
http://www.randdmotorsports.com/dyno.html

A properly turboed 7mgte out of a supra makes over 300 hp by 4-5k rpms. a completely stock 7mgte motor (w/copper HG) can put 400hp to the wheels by 5-6k. Finding one of these cars in a salvage yard or for sale on autotrader.com is a lot easier and dirt cheap to boot.

here's a dyno list for drooling purposes. Remember the goal is minimzing rebuild costs. So I ignore the big hp people.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=116129

This is all nice but the key is real world drivability. If it isnt making significant power by 4k rpms, how much money do you want to waste to get it to do that? The other question is height and weight. I think the answer is probably toyota 3sgte mated to an older celica or 86ae drivetrain. Most of these are stock internals, stock turbo engines.
http://turboforum.net/dyno/pages/ct26.htm

and for big 4 banger #'s
http://www.turboforum.net/dyno/
Makes buying any other non opel motor seem silly unless you are like me and have 3 complete 7mgte's (w/turbos) sitting in the garage.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
5-speed Box

The older RWD Celica gearboxes are used for many conversions here in NZ. They are tough enough to take SB V8 torque and have several different ranges of gear ratios. The steel case ones are strongest. Had one behind my 3-litre Holden six-cyliner engine in a station wagon and it made a different car out of it.

Right about leaving the hi-horsepower to racers as it is seldom that even a four-cylinder street engine sees more than 4 to 5 thousand revs with highway cruising usually at 2,500 to 3,000 rpm. So that is where the peak torque should be.

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts
For a daily driver, torque definitely rules. My Toyota pickup had a 22R with a Camden supercharger. Perfect street engine. Could start in 2nd gear, shift at 4000 rpms.....still outran a stock 22R. Got 24 mpg with the stock engine, and 28 mpg with the blower!
Good engine....

·
Opeler
9 Posts
Totota turbo

Toyota made a turbo 4 from late 1985 to early 1987 that was available in the pickups the model number is 22rTec. I have one in a 1986 4X4 that I bought new, it was offered in the SR5 2WD auto, SR5 4WD 5sp manual & auto or the standard cab 4WD 5sp manual & auto.
Factory hp was rated at 135 but it performed much better in real life. I found this link because I am curious if it would be possible to fit into a GT.
I think I will do some measuring later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts