Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I use two of the Chinese made sensors similar to the first photo; one for my motorhome (with six tires) and one for the car that I tow behind the motorhome. They work fine, with a few caveats. The Chinese-English manuals generally suck, and the buttons to change settings are not usually intuitive, but I've always managed to get mine working without too much hassle. Once programmed, there is little you have to do. One of mine is a bit hard to read in bright daylight, especially with sunglasses on. To save the sensor batteries they only update the pressures every few minutes (that's true of the more expensive units too, I'm told) but in the case of a blow-out or tire losing pressure quickly they will alert you immediately. No problem for me, but in the mornings it will often be 10 minutes or so before I see updated pressures.

The best part of these external TPMS is you can replace the sensor batteries without dismounting the tire, and they use cheap CR2032 or 2016 button cell batteries. I change the batteries in my sensors every year, but they would probably last a couple years. You can buy the whole system for what replacing one sensor costs on your car manufacturer's system.

I've been told that you should use only metal valve stems with these external sensors, but the car I tow has had external sensors on it for 20k miles with rubber valve stems and I've never had a problem.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts