Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the 70s' when I graduated from high school Corvettes, Firebirds, Camaros, and Mustang cobras were the hot expensive cars that affluent families bought their kids or young adults going off to colledge to cellebrate their freedom.

The resourceful but broke :mad: had to settle for something less.

Now my family wasn't exactly broke, in fact my father was a certifiable car nut. He was a metal smith by trade but didn't work in the auto industry. He was into structural parts pieces for big construction projects like water towers or huge machines that had custom fabed components or things like huge stainless steel vessels for breweries.

Well you know the old saying everybody has to have a hobby. Dad liked owning, fixing, and driving cars. Unfortunately very few seemed cool to me. I had an older brother. He got the Vette, the GTO, the cool stuff and promptly wrecked it all. So I couldn't have any of this stuff.

Like I said the 70s was my era and the first car I had was a 59 Oldsmobile. It was a tank that sometimes didn't run but it was mine and sometimes I could get it to do cool stuff, like take curves faster than the road signs were posted for. In fact I got so good at this that a couple of motorcyclists, who were tailgating me once, got a big suprise when we hit a curve at the crest of hill that I had perfected a brake and punch out of way in excess of recommended speed... They tried to follow me and hit the ditch!! :D

Well I had to have a better car so when I got my first job I started savin.. well then the gas shortage came along and no one wanted big muscle except a few elites. Gas wasn't sold on Sunday :( and it wasn't long before my job went belly up with the economy. Dad though was still buying fixxers and selling them just short of having to have a dealers license. Well in his wheeling and dealing he came across a orange Opel GT. I fell in love with it and kept bugging him until he took the 59 and my savings and gave me the car!! Wow this was a great car. It was easy on gas and fast and sleek for its size. I drove it to Florida and back in 75 on a $200.00 budget ended up having to buy two tires for it on the way back (tire was dry rotted) and got back with 25 cents and the tank on E. I began to save money got another job and wanted to repaint the car black. My brother who had an upholstery shop at the time had a gallon of pearl white auto paint that some guy left in a boat my brother got to settle a debt. Well ..we painted it in a carport !! and didn't have enough masking supplies to do the door jambs right so they were sort of orange but the rest turned out pretty good. He topped it off by using a smoking torch to add some black effects around the doors and other places on the car. Dad had a little clear coat that we lifted to set the effect. A few years later I traded the car in for a Chevy Monza.

So.... Has anyone came across a pearl white Opel GT with black smudgy looking door handles ??? Let me know..

·
Opeler
36 Posts
interior

Out of curiosity what color was the interior as I have an appearantly orange GT that apears to have been repainted white, its my parts car and not in to good of shape. Not quite sure what you meant about the black smudge marks on the door though?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It had a black interior. I sure wish I had painted the exterior black.

The black marks kind of looked like small clouds. They weren't quite three dimensional just sort of shaped like em. They framed the door handles (around them.) I think we also put some coming out of the front louvers. I was just thinking today of the three dimensional fire you see painted on the cars on the cable tv shows, how that would have went hand in hand with this technique. It's a pity neither one of us had much experience painting. It would have been a natural, using some of the orange under the white and shooting some red overlays where needed.

Someone might have thought it actually burned or something or looked like it and painted over it!
:eek:

Sure would be a real kick, that it didn't end up in the junkyard somewhere.

pastopel

·
Opeler
36 Posts
sorry....

Sorry the car i've got doesn't have a black interior :( but on the bright side, its in bad shape as I bought it from a Junkyard. Anyway good luck on finding your baby. And I'll keep an eye out for her. p.s. what part of Ohio are you from, I'm around Cincinnati.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.