Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I really want to take my GT to the track. Mostly autocross, but a full-fledged track day would be nice.

The car is pretty much completely stock, complete with Automatic tranny.

Now, would this car be so slow, that on a track, it would be a hazard? I know there wouldn't be problems in an autocross, except that I won't be very competitive...

I mean, I will be redoing the engine and suspension eventually, but I just don't have that much money right now.

So, what do you think? Should I maybe at least put an electric fan on there? I'm afraid to run this engine above 3,500 RPM's because it's so dang loud.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can afford some things for the car, but I would rather get everything done at once (which includes restoring the body). That will all take a couple thousand dollars, which I can't get right away.

But a couple hundred dollars here and there, no problem.

Besides, I already have helmets (from my motorcycle, which are SA2000), and 5-point harnesses.

All I'd really need would be better tires.

·
Super Moderator
14,142 Posts
Can I assume then (based on your location) that you will be running a track in the northeast? If you are looking to run a time trial event at Lime Rock for example, the cost will be closer to $160-$180 depending on the club you run with. And although hi-po tires would be nice, they're not absolutely essential. You will be classed according to the modifications the car has, and will run with other cars comparable. It will however, probably be the slowest class since even the most mundane modern passenger cars are more competent than high performance cars of 10-15 years ago.

But have fun, you will enjoy the drive just the same!

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
You say that your engine is noisy above 3500rpm? is it the fan or something else making the noise?

I would convert to a manual transmission, that would probly make you a lot more competitive and it is a fairly easy swap, and could probly be done for under $300.

·
648 Posts
I would recommend checking with the local Porsche club in your area. They have driver education days on a regular basis. The one I went to a few months back cost me $80 for a one day school. You had to have a Snell 2000 helmet and freshly changed brake fluid. They then teched the car pretty well. The day consisted of 4- 20 minate track sessions with classroom sessions in between. As a first timer, you do have an instructer in the car with you with helmit intercoms. There were several other cars on the track with you, and passing was allowed on the straights with signaling (NO RACING!) By the end of the day, I was beat, but had learned alot---like even new brake pads can fade to nothing quickly! I have since changed to racing fluid and Kevlar pads and shoes. By my last sessions I was really starting to develope some speed--I was able to tailgate both a BMW and a Corvette everyware but on the long straight.
Our local Porsche club has these about every 3 months. I missed the last one in Nov, as my current clutch is slipping too baddly to go. hope to have my new engine in and be ready to go by the spring, as I am hooked.
James

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
opelgt73 said:
You say that your engine is noisy above 3500rpm? is it the fan or something else making the noise?

I would convert to a manual transmission, that would probly make you a lot more competitive and it is a fairly easy swap, and could probly be done for under $300.
I'm fairly confident that the noise is from the fan. I mean, I'm only 23, I'm used to electric fans on all of my cars! :)

I would love to do a manual swap, but I'm wondering if it would just be more worth my time and money to wait until I have another engine lined up, also...that way I can do all the drivetrain at once. I think it would just make my life easier that way.

As much as I hate driving automatics, I think I'm going to hold off for now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another thing to remember about trying your car on a track before you really concrete ideas in your head of what your going to do with it is, you can possibly get more experienced racers/drivers to ride with you if allowed at the particular track. They can show you ways to improve your time and also different ways to set up the car, what works and what might be a waste of money. So always take advantage of other people's mistakes in high performance ventures and think about what would be suitable for your car and how far your willing to go. Only draw back is you might get some idiot that thinks they know everything so get a couple different people to ride with you or just get their assessssment of what they would do to improve the car and do what your income allows....

RITTER

1 - 7 of 7 Posts