Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot reconnect the track rod on the driver (axle) side. It is partially on (probably only on by the grommet) the connecting post but seems to be twisted slightly. Have loosened the other end, but can't get enough play in it to align it. The car is on jack stands supported at the jacking points. Is there some geometry i.e. like lifting the left end of the axle (tried this) to align it?:banghead:

Denny

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I'm not home right now, so I can't refer to my books, but I do believe there was something about having the car with all 4 wheels on the ground and 125 lbs. in the driver's seat. If the bushing is over the threads, then possibly a rubber mallet skillfully applied will assist in getting the "Panhard" rod on the rest of the way. HTH.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Panhard Rod Refit

From the FSM:

The Panhard Rod

"When refitting the panhard rod, the rear springs must be compressed by placing a load of approximately 350 lbs in the luggage compartment before tightening the attaching bolts to a torque of 24 lb-ft (3.3 kg-m)."

Control Arms

"The rear springs must be compressed by placing a load of approximately 350 lbs in the luggage compartment before tightening the control arm fixing bolts to a torque of 18 lbs-ft (2.5 kg-m)."

Make very sure that the Panhard rod is straight and not bowed either fore & aft or up & down - P.O.s seem to regard it as a convenient place to attach tiedowns or tow ropes ... with predictable damage !! :sigh:

The Panhard rod goes cross the car behind the diff - one end attached to the diff housing and the other to the body. The Control rods are one each side of the car and go forward from the front of the spring purches and attach to the body.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
It can be a little tough all right. We have to make an adjustment to it often at the the track, and don't have time to fight it. We do it with the car's weight on the springs, with blocks under the spring buckets, see how that kind of puts a twist on the axle? Also a come-along between a spring bucket and the frame will help pull things into alignment sideways, it doesn't take much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thank you for the replies.:) The FSM was unclear (at least to me) whether or not the vehicle should be on or off the jacks. I'll try it off the jacks with someone in the driver's seat.

Denny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts