Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I would do my best to give it a Gordon spin and fail miserably

Votes: 1 4.2%
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,889 Posts
For a classic car that you want to keep for a really long time, single stage sounds like a better option. I'd rather buff the paint to get it shiny again instead of eventually needing to repaint the car. I didn't know that orange peel is part of the clear coat's UV protection. Also, if you had to repair the paint single stage is easier to accomplish that. When you consider isocyanates, I'd want to find paint options that don't include them.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
901 Posts
My own personal preference for my GT was to keep it the same color, twice. First paint job was around 1980 and was done by a local dealership, Chapel Hill NC at the time. I knew nothing about paint just that I wanted the car to look better, this was a simple job no engine bay just tape and spray. Some months after the new paint job little white spots started appearing on the paint - took it back and complained and they buffed the car and the spots disappeared. Spots came back, they said it was acid rain and I said," then why have all the other cars in the area not developed white spots, only mine" as I check several parking lots, not a car with white spots to be found - call an attorney, not interested so I sued them in small claims court, I was like 28 years old at the time. Went to a number of body shops and got notarized statements from the owners that it was not acid rain but a problem with the paint - judge would not except the notarized statements as the people that wrote them could not be cross examined - so I failed the Perry Mason test and lost the case. But, they had two attorneys and the two guys from the body shop there against me that day so I know it cost them most likely as much as the paint job - so I exacted a bit of revenge, cost me $11.75 to file and was a good life lesson. Second time I had the car painted was in King, NC by a local body shop and as with the first time the same color - this time everything was removed, bead blasted as I did not want to take a chance that the flaw in the paint would bleed through, anyway I stuck with Chartreuse as it was original to the car. I really do like that color however If I was restoring a car that I purchased today I would most likely paint it a Candy Apple Red, I mean it would have to be the best shade of red available - something that has that wet look, really shiny. Never had one but have always loved a well done red car.
So two votes, original color for my childhood car but custom color for a project car. Guess my votes cancel out each other. Cheers, Carl

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
HUMM that's an interesting story Will I Finish. We experienced this on the roof and realized it was due to the booth/roof of truck being way out of the max heat range for the clear coat.
It looked like diaper rash LOL. We sanded that out and hit it again and all is well.
But in your case I would speculate one of two things. Bad prep before paint. Or chemical pops from coats not being applied in the time frame allotted and the 1st coat is gassing out and gets trapped under the coat/coats above it.
One other thing that happened that may have sped up or cause the clear to fail on my truck originally was not really knowing or understanding how to wax my vehicle with a buffer/orbital buffer.
A friend and I used the same wax and orbital buffer on our trucks the same day and both started having the same bubbling/peeling of the clear coat at the same time.
His was a Chevy mine a Dodge both blue ( not that has anything to do with it).
About 3 weeks or so after it started.
My thoughts are we burnt the clear coat and thus it failed.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Opel Key Master
5,351 Posts
I’m about BC/CC. Single stage paints are more difficult to repair and match than most clear coats, although if it is not the same paint, some colors are hard to match no matter what. It’s all about the product, and in a lot of makes, they had color issues just like Opel did with silver. Remember in the 80s and early 90s, a bright red Toyota would fade out. Now you could buff it and it would come right back, but would fade out again in a matter of time. Every manufacturer is going to have issues with paint. Do you think there would not be any issues if they kept using a single stage Urethane? I doubt it. Orange peel is a result of spray, it’s almost inevitable, that is why you have post sanding and polishing. Even with single stage, you have to wet sand out orange peel.
Now on OP post about clear coating, sanding at 1000, and then re-clear coating….that will work, but you open up the chances of getting more trash and dust in your paint job, and worry about mechanical adhesion

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well It's been a spell and we are about 95% done with our paint job.
Between it being to hot and to much rain finishing has been a struggle.
I know and understand this isn't an opel BUT we now have (I think) enough experience to paint the opel when it's time
Here is the before and after of the truck
And yes I promise not to share any non opel projects on this site ever again LOL
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Now on OP post about clear coating, sanding at 1000, and then re-clear coating….that will work, but you open up the chances of getting more trash and dust in your paint job, and worry about mechanical adhesion
Very valid point opelspyder.
And after thoughtful consideration this truck is being passed down to my son.
It is not going to be some show truck or anything off the sorts and how long he'll have it ? who knows
So no recoat
But my son is very very proud of what we've accomplished and he'll remember this for years to come.
And me? I am very blessed to be in a position to do this with him and for the experience we both have gained together.
BUT great gob stoppers that's a lot of work.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts