Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's done! :D The trailer has finally been hitched to the car and taken for a spin. Let me tell you, with the short distance between axles this devil is an exercise in patience and skill to back up. However, it performed beautifully and just needs a couple of weights inside to keep it from bounceing sky high when you hit a bump. :p Visual clearance thru the rear window is unimpaired (almost as perfect as it can get) but we will add an indicator light to let us know that the lights are functioning from that view. And a blitz on the nose of course.
Wish we had taken some pictures before the finished product. This started out as an oxidized grey hulk with a different rear end. We built up, bondo'd, and fiberglassed the rear to eliminate two hefty depressions on both sides. After the glazing, sanding, etc, Dan (MrGing) painted it a close match to the car. Wired everything too. We couldn't resist the 'matching' lights on the trailer.
Still a little tweaking here and there but this has been loads of fun and is going to make any trips with luggage of any sort a lot easier.

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Trailer Wars!

Wow! That looks real neat - I sense the next trend here. Now everyone with a GT will want a trailer hitch and a wee trailer to hitch to their GTs. :)

·
Driver
987 Posts
Too cool! I love it! A trunk bigger than a Manta. I think my Sportwagon still has you beat, but it's close. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Dan & Ging;
That thing is too cool for words!!! :D :D

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
That looks great!!! I want one!! :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jlthunder said:
That looks great!!! I want one!! :p
Well, for the small effort of finding yourself a motorcycle trailer and fabricating your own hitch you too can have one. ;) You may have to do some body work too if you don't like the shape of the trailer. Heh, heh.
Having the little alternator we have kept the lights to a minimum - not to mention that there should be a little room left on the trailer with no lights.
We'll get some pics of the hitch later. Still have a couple of things to adjust.
We are looking at a dome light/interior light in the trailer, since chances are the trailer will be unloaded without the vehicle on. We'll need to find the nearest hot wire which we are assuming is the dome light in the car. Anyone know of a closer hot wire?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Ging, the hot wire for the dome lite is in the same harness that goes from the fuse panel, down the driver's side kick panel, along the door sill to the rear lites and gas tank. The dome lite wire goes across the rear, behind the gas tank and over the pax side rear fender well to the roof cavity. There are disconnects in the fender well area where splices could be made. At least that's how my 72 GT was/is wired. HTH.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check that out Namba and thanks. I realized that I had a pause on the old brain tape - the PO rewired the car so I may be looking at tracing down the wire no matter what. Hopefully he will have left that in at least somewhat of the same area. :rolleyes:

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Ging;

If you can get a light out of an old truck cap, they work great. They have a built in switch and can take a beating. I used one on my '87 S-10 strip model pick up since the truck didn't come with a dome light. It worked great.

Jeff

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will check on that if I can get down to Pull-a-Part anytime soon. Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts