Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is yet another question I have been plagued with. I keep seeing people talking about the getrag 5 speed for the GT, and I was wondering if this is the only tranny swap possible. While the getrag is a great piece of equipment, the prices that I have seen these selling for is enough to make one faint. Does anyone know of any other OEM or aftermarket trannys that could be made to work in a GT, but without the high price tag? My GT's 4 speed works great now, but later on when it starts getting tired, it would be nice to upgrade to a 5 speed. I realize that the possibility of this is remote or someone would have probably already told the group in here, but I thought it might be worth asking about.

John

P.S. If anyone is interested, I may try to post a few pics of the little car that started this whole series of questions--my '70 GT in its "before" stage. :D

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
hey i would love to see PICS of your car

as for other 5-speeds

there is the T-5

there is the 5 speed out of a Chevett

and a T-9 out of a merkur xr4ti that i have herd of

the getrag is the best from what i am told

Davegt74

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the trans input dave. I wondered about the chevette 5 speed, but unfortunately, all my chevettes are 4 speed or automatic, so I didn't have anything to compare to.
As for the pics of my car, I am going to try to post them here in a little while. Just don't laugh! :mad: lol

John

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it true that the Chevette 5 speed will bolt right up to the stock GT motor without major mods to the bellhousing, driveshaft length, etc? If this is possible, does the same hold true for the chevette 4 speed? I happen to have a spare one and was wondering if I should hold onto it in case my GT's stock 4 speed goes out. I know the shifter location is different and the top two bolts might not line up correctly, but is this the extent of the problems? What about the clutch? Does it need any modifications to work with the stock GT 4 speed flywheel?
And speaking of stock GT 4 speeds, are the shifters for these really rare or something? My shifter was somehow broken off about 3 inches up from the mount. It works the linkages good but this makes it impossible to bolt the shifter into the mount because you can't use reverse with the finger release for the reverse lockout missing. I have been trying to locate one for several months now, but most of them have been getting up there in price. I could probably modify my shifter with a new finger release if I had to, but I figure with all the work that's left to do on this car, why make more?

John

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
This guy Frank from DC explained the hole chevett Trans swap to me years ago

1990 i guess so i forget all the details

the big one that killed it for me was the fact that the shifter would come out where the E-Brake handle is

that killed that idea for me and i moved on to the T-5

but i would love a Getrag if i could get my hands on one

Davegt74

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the T-5 shifter come out in or near the origional position? I wasn't too crazy about the different shifter position on the chevette either, but I thought that if the trans bolted in fairly easy, it might be something to have around just in case. How difficult is the T-5 trans to bolt up to a stock 1.9? Just trying to get some ideas for down the road.

Thanks,
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts