Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
I have placed an ad in the "Parts Wanted" section, but, thought I'd post out here to get a little better reaction. I'm looking for the "detent", "kick-down", or "passing gear" cable for the 71-75 automatic Manta/Ascona. I need two, but, one would do for right now. I know it'd be a miracle to find a NOS one, but, one or both in good shape would be great. Mine, the actual cable is not broke, but, the casing is and adjusting the cable is impossible, so, check your stashes and see what you have.
Thanks for letting me butt into y'alls day :D
Gene

·
1,709 Posts
Gene try calling Transtar in Tucker .HTH

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John;
Thanks, They're right up the street from me, but, I wanted to check here first.

·
88 Posts
Quick Fix

Its not as good as a new one, but in a pinch I have repaired a 'leaky' tranny detent cable with marine shrink tubing. It is stiffer than standard electrical shrink tubing and has a heat activated watertight adhesive in it so it is actually glued on.

I used a size that just barely goes over the tranny end of the cable with a bit of friendly assistance.

I've been driving this daily for 2 years and its still working and not leaking.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Mikeyone;
The cables aren't leaking, it's just the outer casting, up in the engine compartment are broken and you really can't adjust them
But, it's still something to try ;)
Thanks for the tip,
Gene

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Sample

If you have a sample one out of the car try going to a local auto trans rebuild shop and asking for a "TH180 GM auto trans kickdow cable - like this one." DON'T mention Opels! A wide range of GM cars used the same Tri-matic TH180 trans - from 1990s' Suzukis to Chevy Novas - so there must be a range of lengths available from current spares. Even try your local GM dealer - R. Bob has mentioned this before, with GT ones.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry to change the subject, but can the th180 automatic out of one of the 1990's Suzuki's or GM cars mentioned be bolted in a GT? Would all TH180s share the same mounts, deminsion, and bell housings? I've always been kinda interested in getting an automatic for my GT. Thanks,
Matt

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt;
there's just one problem, the TH180 that go in the GT's have the gear selector attaching on the passenger side of the car, due to the headlight handle mechanisim on the driver's side. Other than that, all the TH180s, the gear selector attaches on the driver's side.
Gene

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Th-180

I think that the bell housings may be different for applictions for different Models.
Gene I will check my stache for the dentent cables, I should have at least 4 to 6 of them some where as I have at least that many Auto trannies sitting around, But I will have to keep at least 2 of the best ones for Tyressa's GT I will let you know this weekend.
Rodney

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rodney;
That's cool, I'm in no hurry.
Thanks,
Gene

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All From Russia. Need your help. I have car Opel Rekord E2. it is installed automatic transmission GM TH180 (3L30).The detent cable (kickdown) is torn off. A question: whether prompt it Opel number direct or GM number direct? My number anywhere is not read, it is not present also I cannot begin search what to buy it.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello All From Russia. Need your help. I have car Opel Rekord E2. it is installed automatic transmission GM TH180 (3L30).The detent cable (kickdown) is torn off. A question: whether prompt it Opel number direct or GM number direct? My number anywhere is not read, it is not present also I cannot begin search what to buy it.
You can contact an Opel dealership via the internet and tell them you have a XXXX year model Rekord E2 witha 3L30 or GM TH-180 automatic, and they should be able to look up the cable number as well as the cable itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts