Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having a problem w/ my clutch. I'll bet someone knows immediately what the problem is. I hope it's not to difficult to repair.

The clutch pedal no longer rebounds all the way out, and the clutch will not completely disengage when the pedal is depressed. This results in not being able to shift into any gear.

I am largely illiterate on how a clutch works.

By the way.... This was sudden.

Steve (Stressed)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Steve, Gary could be quite right you may have lost the e-clip on the clutch cable housing, if so, here's the way you're supposed to adjust the clutch mechanism, and get the correct free travel on the pedal. And it's not hard to do, you just have to get under the car on both sides of the tranny. Make sure the spring on the throw-out arm is in place, it is attached where the clutch cable is attached and at the rear tranny mount. Measure the distance between the cable attach point on the throw-out arm and the front of the bell housing mating surface to the engine, it should be 4.25 inches. If not, on the other side of the bellhousing about the 2:30 position there is a stud with a locknut on it, that is the throw-out arm adjusting stud. Loosen the nut and adjust the stud to get the 4.25" clearance on the throw-out arm, then tighten the locknut. To get the .75-1.5" free travel on the clutch pedal, you move the E-clip on the cable housing at the firewall. That's all there is too it. HTH.

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's still there. Any other ideas?

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Check for excessive slack in the cable, maybe the clip jumped back a few notches. Does the pivot arm the clutch cable/throw out bearing attach to seem secure? Are there any strange noises coming from the bellhousing trans area? Sounds like the clutch is only partly disengaging when you push the pedal in, and that could be why it's hard to shift. You say the pedal is not coming all the way up, but is the clutch fully engaged at it's not all the way up position? Does the clutch slip when you drive it and can you shift the trans without the clutch when you are driving?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts