Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what happens if the thrust spring in the transmission tailshaft housing (that pushes against the driveshaft) is inadvertently left out? Obviously it SHOULD be replaced, but the spring is here in my garage in Calgary, and the transmission is in Katheryn's GT up in Leduc (a three hour drive). I forgot to install it last weekend when I rebuilt her transmission and stuff. I plan on sending it to her, but I was curious as to what (if anything) will happen while she waits for the spring.

I seem to recall a comment that the driveshaft will rattle a bit, and that the seal will either wear out prematurely or wear a groove in the driveshaft sleeve. But I just wanted to make sure that any damage that might occur will not do so in the meanwhile.

·
Reborn Opeler
32 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I think the spring is there to prevent the pinion extension shaft from working it's way forward in the torque tube.

Keith,
would you take a look at my post in 2.4bottom/2.0 head, I had alot of questions.
Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd bet as long as it isn't driven hard or for very long, and the donut is in good shape, nothing will happen. I think the spring is mostly to keep the bearing/donut in the right place since the torque tube 'yolk' has a couple of inches in the rear end.

·
Opeler
1,332 Posts
thrust spring

I almost completed the 5 speed conversion on my GT. Where does the thrust spring go? Does it go in the tail section of the tranny? Then the drive shaft pushes against it? Does you guys lube it up when you install it?

Karl
70 GT

·
Registered
638 Posts
in my experience the spring on a 4 speed slides over the splines on the output shaft and on the 5 speed it rides inside the the splines of the yoke. The spring keeps the drive shaft from walking back and forth. Un checked the forward and backwards movemtents will cause stress on the u-joints and will damage the rear seal in time. During driving the walking of the drive shaft a clanking may be heard from the drive shaft. Hope this helps. Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh no!

I’ve recently bought a 74 manta, I picked it up in Kansas. Anyway I pulled the driveshaft so that I could tow it easier and stupid me, I didn’t realize there was a spring in there :banghead: . Does anybody know where I can get a thrust spring, or if there something that has one, that’s more common? thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts