Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a good tip on how to fill a manual transmission? As you know, the plug is in such a place that it is nearly impossible to fill. :confused:

·
648 Posts
Roy,

most any auto parts stores will have a little pump that screws onto the top of the oil bottle. It's cheap and stops you from making a mess...and boy does gear oil stink when it's running down your arm!
James

·
328 Posts
They make a suction gun that works to draw or fill the transmission, costs about 15 dollars at pep boys, draw the hendle back, fill it, hook a tube up to the end and go slowly, no matter what, the smell takes a few showers to remove the gear oil smell from arms and especially hair.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
If this is 4 speed your talking about I always cheated. I'd drain by loosening pan bolts then fill through the vent after removing the screen for it. I could just put in what it called for and be done with it. It was probably good for the trannys, instead of topping it off they always got fresh fills. I always used the pumps you could get for the jugs of oil.

·
Super Moderator
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I'll go buy a pump in the morning. I do know how gear oil smells! I have taken a few showers in the stuff! :D

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
wish i woulda known about the pump, i always shoved a hose on the end of the gear lube bottle and took my shift boot out, filled it throw the hole in the floor, worked good but sucked when the hose came off and filled your console full of gear lube, and that stuff DOES NOT come out of hair...

·
137 Posts
ATF in 4 speed Manual

Has anyone used automatic trans fluid instead of regular lub in a manual transmission?
I have a transmission that was used in an ITB Ascona (race car) for four years and the previous owner/driver said he used ATF in it exclusively. I drove the car and the shifts were smooth as silk. The transmission shows no signs of leaking. He said that he never had a problem and knew of no downside in using ATF. He claimed that ATF provides is a better lubricant and runs cooler than regular gear lub. My question to him, which he couldn't answer, was "if it works that well, why didn't Opel (as well as other car-makers) use it". I was just wondering if anyone else has used ATF in a manual transmission or know of its use.

Thanks ...

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Never heard of that :confused: , nor would I try it. The viscosity difference is enough that I would think the syncros would die alot sooner. Course, I'm old school "by-the-book" when it comes to that. :rolleyes:

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i have a shop size gear lube machine, used for auto repair shops hold a giant drum and has a long hose then u just set the dial on the front for how many liters u want to put in and pump away and when the dial hits zero your done. dont no about using atf in a manual trans sounds kinda risky u sure he wasnt refering to a specail brand of oil possibly called atf or something.

·
137 Posts
He said ATF

I'm sure he said "ATF" (I'll sample the lub in the trans this evening) because I asked him about it on two separate occasions. I mentioned the practice of using ATF in a manual transmission to a local engine builder (race engines). He had never done it, but said the viscosity of light-weight synthetic gear lub is almost the same as ATF.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Hopefully, the person mistook synthetic for ATF because of color. For example: they could have been using RedLine MT-90, which is red in color just like ATF. The tranny probably wouldn't last long with just ATF.

The "smell" of gear lube comes from the "EP" Extreme Pressure additives, such as sulphur and phosphorus. Besides the Viscosity difference, the gear lube is for hypoid or semi-hypoid gears (ATF is not) and has the "EP" package...

Paul

·
149 Posts
ATF as Gear Oil

Mazda used ATF or 80/90W gear oil in some of their transmisisons. One that comes to mind was the 80's GLC. If I remember what I was told the ATF was used in colder climates, and made more noise but shifted smoother. I don't know if those transaxles were specifically designed to use either lubricant.

Perhaps some of the race car drivers here could offer more insight.

Darrin

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I checked the recommended fluid on my T-5 tranny from a 92 S-10. The Chilton's states some trannys use ATF, Dexron II, others use 80-90 gear oil. I checked the Camaro Chilton's and all Camaro manual trannys use ATF, Dexron II, IIE, or subsequent grades. So some trannies can use ATF with no ill affects, but not Opel trannys, at least not the standard 4-speeds. HTH.

Ron

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
alot of the newer manual transmissions, mid 80's and up, use ATF. it dont make sense to me either but thats what the book calls for my friends 89 blazer, and my other friends 91 ranger.........i guess they aitn the only ones.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Yes most (if not all) FWD manual trannys use engine oil. I know my 1980 Accord w/ 5-speed used 10W-40. Can't vouch for RWD Rangers etc. But I thought the discussion was about an Opel tranny. I agree with Ron, it specifically needs GEAR oil not Engine oil.

Paul

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Atf

English Rovers had trouble with their four speed gearboxes in the late 70's - baulky syncros and gear noise when cold. They "cured" it by changing to auto trans fluid in the manual gearboxes - no problems.

ATF has extreme pressure lubricants and deals with extreme temps and friction profiles. It certainly improves the shift qualit too. Try it - but don't hold me responsible for anything!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts