Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What holds the front seal in place ?

I was "dry" fitting the bell housing to the trans
and it looks like it gets sandwiched in there.
Does this sound right?

I put some sealer on the outside of the seal.

Garry

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used the original gasket between the tranny and bellhousing to make a new gasket for it. It isn't like most that I've worked on that have a real front seal and the bellhousing just bolts between the engine and tranny.

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it went together ok. I did put some goo on the gasket between the bell and the trans. I made studs to replace the 4 bell to trans bolts. I hope it won't leak oil all over my new clutch.

Garry

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
To make the studs I just cut the heads off of the proper sized metric bolts. Then just locktited them in the bell housing. There are no bolt heads protruding into the bell. If there tight just put on a couple of jamb nuts.

The bolts are a bit tricky. I don't remember the exact details but it was something like this...Off the shelf nuts are big, like 17mm or so. I went to Lowes are shopped around there bolt bin and found some 14mm nuts and lock washers. The 14mm nuts had the wrong thread in so it was simple to run a tap through them to fix them up. The smaller nut is easier to get a socket on them, more room between the nut and the trans.

It seems to work ok and is plenty strong. Best things are the gasket gets held on the studs and after you hump the trans up in there the studs support it. (sorry so long winded !)

Garry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have studs on mine and I think that they are the way to go. The PO put them in so I don't know where he got them but they are a slotted machine head screws so there is no clearance problem with the clutch fork. I have had problems over this last summer and I am going to replace them over the winter. First let me qualify this and say that I have had the tranny in and out of my car 50- times if I have done it once. There have also been other issues with the tranny and drive shaft creating vibrations etc. My current theory of what happened is that even though they were lock tighted in I got a piece of crud in the nut [This is taking place in the paddock at the track and not in a clean garage!]and when I went to tighten them I unscrewed the stud into the bellhousing say a turn or two. Then with the head of the bolt not tight it allowed to screw back out and loosen the nut. I hope that this is making sense. There are a couple of ideas that I am tossing around on how to solve this problem. One would be to make a stud with a unthreaded portion in the middle less than the thickness of the tranny flange so then i couldn't screw the stud into the bell housing further in. Or after the bots where installed drilling through the side of the bell housing and puttin a pin through the stud to lock it in place.

Any thoughts or suggestions to this ramble!:)

Tim

·
179 Posts
garrymc said:
... I went to Lowes are shopped around there bolt bin...
Garry

Isn't this a BIG problem? Hardware stores ususlly only carry low grade bolts - not intendid for automotive applications where stress is involved.

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't this a BIG problem? Hardware stores ususlly only carry low grade bolts - not intendid for automotive applications where stress is involved.
I would say you are right about that. But, in this case its just a stock engine and you do have those dowel pins to locate the bell to the back of the engine. All the studs have to do is sandwich the trans to the bell. It seems plenty strong.

Garry

·
802 Posts
tight or loose

Just a question, when I removed my transmission from the bell housing the front seal fell out of the bell housing, should it be a tight fit or loose. The seal looks to be good but I am going to replace it with new,Just wanted to make sure of the fit.:banghead:

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
So the tranny needs a gasket between it and the bell housing, and the seal? does gear lube get between the trans and bell housing?

Pat

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
So the tranny needs a gasket between it and the bell housing, and the seal? does gear lube get between the trans and bell housing?
Pat
Yes, there MUST be a gasket between the front of the transmission and the bell-housing, and also a seal that sits in a recess in the outside of the bell-housing that seals against the transmission input shaft. So yes, technically there is gear lube between the transmission and the bell-housing, but not beyond that, or else the clutch gets fouled, the transmission loses its lubricant, and the gears inside weld themselves together:eek:

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Ok thanks Keith looks like I'll have to pull the tranny again

Pat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts