boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
you have a weak detent spring in the box which is not locking it in place
you can live with it or have the box rebuilt
a lot cost saved if you can live with it :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I've seen worn synchro gears and a bad detent button do it too.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Internal .. or Extenal

First check for external problems like a colapsed gearbox and/or rubber monting. Then check the adjustment of the gear lever linkage to be sure that the gearbox moving about under the "bump" loading is not just operating the linkage and "popping" the 4th gear out manually.

Internal problems usually centre upon high milage wear - syncro detents and such - which are usually caused by the looseness (wear) in the bearing in the input shaft that the front end of the tailshaft spins in for the intermediate gears. In 4th this wear allows the main shaft to wobble around and "walk" the syncro slider back off the input shaft.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
I would also check to see if the 4 bolts holding the trans to the bellhousing are tight. I had several 4-spds jump out of gear because these 4 bolts were loose.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Low on Oil

I agree with BQS4. I had a loose trans to bell housing bolt. The oil leaked out the front seal to a low level and 4th gear would pop out when I let up on the gas. Check your oil level and make sure all bolts are tight.

Warning, don't overtighten since the bellhousing is aluminum and it will strip out.

Check for signs of oil leakage at the front of the bellhousing and rear imput shaft. It might be time for a rebuild or a used replacement.

·
467 Posts
easy fix..maybe

My tranny jumped out of gear. when I replaced the stock rubber shift boot with a soft leather one the problem went away...couldt be worth a try to remove the shift boot and see if that helps...might get a few more miles out of it.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
73Manta72gt said:
My tranny jumped out of gear. when I replaced the stock rubber shift boot with a soft leather one the problem went away...couldt be worth a try to remove the shift boot and see if that helps...might get a few more miles out of it.
bad idea the boot is there to stop fumes from getting in to the cab :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts