Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi from saki :please read

Hi , everyone my addiction to this car last since 1992 when I had acquired my first GT! I had to sell it right before moved into the States in 1997 out from Europe . There wasn't a day passed by that I didn't think about it . Now, there is a chance for me to regain that sweet feeling of driving it again .
There seems to be a problem with a forth gear as a owner tels me it pops out ,unles you keep your hand on the stick all the time . ? !
Please help with some advice .Buy whole transmission , only a forth gear or try to find some maching transmission other than original (would any other fit).....
Thanks all for taking your time trying to solve my problem !
P.S.- How much it will cost me . Is there anyone in the Oklahoma City that can ofer a help or service on the spot ?

·
Super Moderator
5,996 Posts
There are a couple of things it could be. Some are easy, some are "transmission replacement time". Here are some things to check:

1) Is the shifter link worn? This is the link on the passenger side from the shifter to the gear selector lever, and the holes at the ends should be the same size as the shafts that it fits on. If the holes get ovaled or the shafts worn, it might not allow 4th to be fully engaged, so it will jump out. Climb under the car while an "assistant" changes gears, and make sure there is not a bunch of play on this link. If the holes are worn, you can remove this link and either get a replacement, or get a machine shop to weld up the holes and drill new round ones. If the shafts get worn, it requires the tranny to be disassembled and the shafts built up.

The link on the driver side is adjustable (selector link) but as long as it actually engages each gear (and reverse) it should be OK.

2) Are the bolts that attach the tranny to the bellhousing tight? These are often not properly tightened after a clutch job, since the top bolts are VERY hard to get a wrench on while the engine is in the car. You have to use a cut-down 15 mm wrench, since a full size wrench and even a socket on multiple universal joints won't reach it. I find it is easier to just drop the entire engine/transmission, but that is easier said than done. But loose bolts will cause mis-alignment, which will cause jumping out of gear.

3) A worn pilot bearing (in the recess of the crankshaft, behind the clutch asssembly) can cause mis-alignment and jumping out of gear. The repair required is essentially the same as replacing the clutch, with the added step of replacing the pilot bearing. If the shift link is OK, you are dropping the tranny anyway, so it is easy to have a look at the pilot bearing.

The rest of the causes are usually some type of internal damage to the transmission. An experienced transmission mechanic (or a patient home mechanic with reasonable skills and lots of tools) can quite easily fix most problems, but they can get expensive. Here is a list that the factory manual provides:

1) End play in main drive gear (bearing retainer loose or broken, loose or worn bearings on main drive gear and mainshaft)

2) Worn clutch teeth on main drive gear and/or worn clutch teeth on synchronizer sleeve

3) Worn or broken blocking rings

4) Bent mainshaft

Good luck, and tell us how you make out.

·
Opel Newbie, Truck Oldie
22 Posts
Sounds similar to what my girlfriend's (blackbird on here :) '73 GT is doing...slips out of 4th once in a while, and makes a LOT of noise in 2nd.

Definitely let us know how it turns out if you get it and have it fixed...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.