Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am investigating possibilities for a transmission to use in my street Manta Rallye. The engine will be a carburated 2.0 – 2.4 Litre CIH. The only real requirements I have is I would like it to be a dogleg and be able to hold up to 150-200Hp (Overkill I know, but I don’t want to take a chance on breaking it).

Possibilities so far:

Getrag 235/5 – Hard to find, and may not be strong enough
Nissan FS5 – Hard to find, and may not be strong enough
ZF – Hard to find, but plenty strong
Porsche Trans – Can’t use without major modification

If anyone can think of any other possibilities, however remote, I want to hear your thoughts.

Darrin

· Registered
69 Posts
Getrag 265 box, Thats what is going in my GT.

OK its not a dogleg, but is rated to a "breaktest" of 500BHP.
The only problem is the bellhousing size, but as its removable I'm using an 1800 Bellhousing via an adapterplate. (My engine is the 2litre 16v Turbo european motor). You may be lucky and the removable bellhousing from the STD 4 speed may match up with little difficulty.

The Standard Getrag 240 5 speed gearbox was "breaktested" in factory to withstand 180BHP and it has been known to handle the power well in excess of 200BHP here in the UK.

My own car was fitted with the GM V6 2.5 Litre engine and with the Charger was pushing on 250BHP. all through the G240 5speed.

If you can live with the crappish ratio's, the money saved could be put to better use.

· Registered
69 Posts
I'm just waiting for the Adapterplate to arrive from Germany, then I'll assemble and post pics.

There is obviously some conversion to be done on the Stick Shift, but nothing too difficult I reckon, probably in the same lines as the normal conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.