Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Opel GT Transmissions for sale.

$50 each + shipping. via Paypal Goods and Services (buyer pays fee). (Price negotiable, I'm new to the world of Opels!) (Edit, why is the forum saying values are so low, but ebay prices are much better?)

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Lots of parts available for local pickup in Austin, Texas.

Attachments

·
Über Genius
9,049 Posts
I don't want to slow your roll but stock trannys are usually $0-50 each. I'v never had to pay for one and have given away a few.

·
Can Opeler
3,344 Posts
I don't want to slow your roll but stock trannys are usually $0-50 each. I'v never had to pay for one and have given away a few.
Agreed. I’ve bought 6 from several different buyers. For about $25 each.

$100 flat rate including shipping would be a decent price for a known good one however.

$20+shipping would be ok for an untested one. IMO.

Add another $20 for the bellhousing.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Yup. Baught me a really nice, solid 4 speed from PJ Romano in 2013 for 50$!!!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Agreed. I’ve bought 6 from several different buyers. For about $25 each.

$100 flat rate including shipping would be a decent price for a known good one however.

$20+shipping would be ok for an untested one. IMO.

Add another $20 for the bellhousing.
After seeing what I saw when I pulled the pan on the tranny for the CNC mock up, I was amazed at the amount of "Gunk" that had accumulated on the pan and the gears. Would definitely need cleaning before assembly. I'd check the pans before I'd invest in one.
In fact have everything ready to clean my current one out, before putting new pan on. I even ordered a new pan Gasket from OGT source along with some of my christmas presents. :banana: Jarrell

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
I gave away a 4 speed transmission to a member here on the site. I replaced it with a 5 speed Getrag. It was just in the shop taking up room so I gave it away. The price was right ($0) and it was either give it away or throw it away. Not much call for untested 4 speed transmissions. Especially for $200 plus shipping. The shipping alone would be well over a hundred dollars, probably closer to $200. Just my opinion.

Bob

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
That's exactly it. If these were tight, low mileage, or rebuilt, that would be fine. But buying unknowns for top dollar is a different story..

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
George, people aren't being mean to you. Opels really aren't worth a lot of money and people who own them aren't generally willing to spend top prices for common parts. As for transmissions, people who do spend the bucks on full restorations often upgrade to a 5 speed Getrag or T5 instead of the relatively weak Opel box.

It is very nice of you to help out in this sad time.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
I gave away a 4 speed transmission to a member here on the site. I replaced it with a 5 speed Getrag. It was just in the shop taking up room so I gave it away. The price was right ($0) and it was either give it away or throw it away. Not much call for untested 4 speed transmissions. Especially for $200 plus shipping. The shipping alone would be well over a hundred dollars, probably closer to $200. Just my opinion.

Bob
I hope I wasn't being negative about the transmissions for sale, if someone needs a transmission, they may find one because if this post. Most people with Opel parts for sale tend to way over value the items. If you need an example just look on ebay and put in "Opel GT vintage parts". Speedometers for $75.00 ,I can get the same thing at OGTS for around $7.00. Plus they don't even guarantee that they work. Not trying to be negative, but rather truthful about anything related to Opel for sale.

Bob

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,929 Posts
Kinda off topic.... but since it has been mentioned: I'll not agree on these 4-speeds being 'weak'..... about 6000 rally stage mile abuse on 2 used boxes say they are fine! I ran one heavily sandy rally, at WOT almost the time for 100+ miles, and the gearbox held up fine, even though the almost constant 120 HP loading and high gear heat absolutely destroyed the gear oil.

The junkyards in the 80's had these running out of their ears, because they were durable. Don't confuse 'worn' with 'weak'.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Kinda off topic.... but since it has been mentioned: I'll not agree on these 4-speeds being 'weak'..... about 6000 rally stage mile abuse on 2 used boxes say they are fine! I ran one heavily sandy rally, at WOT almost the time for 100+ miles, and the gearbox held up fine, even though the almost constant 120 HP loading and high gear heat absolutely destroyed the gear oil.

The junkyards in the 80's had these running out of their ears, because they were durable. Don't confuse 'worn' with 'weak'.
Appreciate that tid bit of information! Puts my mind at ease from all the "playing" I do with my GT

Reactions: dpre and soybean

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I have eight here. They all need 3rd gear synchros.

I've not found them to be weak, but they are not durable when raced. Ours would last us about 1.5 races (14-hour races). We got good at swapping them.

Paid between $0 and $150 for them.

The Getrag has survived many races.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
They are definitely not very strong! In road racing they need to be constantly rebuilt. Just ask Jim MacMahon (Itbgt)!I think 9 races was the cap...after that they were iffy, and that was with maybe 115 hp.

And I’m sure Lloyd (Opelnut10)has plenty of stories from his drag racing days...IIRC he took 3 or 4 transmissions to every drag race, and sometimes used them all!

From my Opel parts days, I can attest to selling a lot of 3rd gear synchros for sure!
I also had a pile of scrap 4-speeds, they weren’t really meant for 150 hp and sticky tires.

If driven CAREFULLY, they handled close to 200 hp. But that was in circle track racing where you stayed in 2rd gear the entire time.

·
Living in the past
2,305 Posts
4 speed transmissions breakage

My engine was in the 200HP neighborhood, the rear tires were so sticky that it picked the front wheels up about 6 inches off the track and wrinkled the sidewalls on the tires. Shifts were made at wide open throttle and and while it was short trips only. I can assure you that there was no rubber mounts to absorb any of the driveline shock and it did take a LOT of punishment but I managed to make it from one end of the track to the other in record times for a few years.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I will apologize first,
I keep hearing/reading getrag and T-5 transmissions and was afraid to ask but I must know
Are these trans new and readily available
If so do they swap right out with existing original 4 speeds?

Reactions: dpre

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Opel GT Transmissions for sale.

$200 each + shipping. via Paypal Goods and Services (buyer pays fee). (Price negotiable, I'm new to the world of Opels!)

Please feel free to ask any questions.
These off topic conversations mite work out in your favour... It keeps your thread to the top of the forum and all this talk of four speed distruction stories may lead to some business ..

Reactions: soybean and dpre

·
Registered
741 Posts
I will apologize first,
I keep hearing/reading getrag and T-5 transmissions and was afraid to ask but I must know
Late model Mustang T5's have been used but need some fabrication like an adapter between the tranny and Opel bellhousing. A Getrag 240 is easier to fit, but still needs some modifications like relocating the shifter and a shortened drive shaft with a yoke from a TH180, or the yoke from a Getrag 240.

·
Über Genius
9,049 Posts
I will apologize first,
There are a few T5's that have been fit.
I've designed the most recent set of adapters.
The whole setup comes to less than the cost of a getrag but the installation is a bit trickier. Not much but a bit.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
There are a few T5's that have been fit.
I've designed the most recent set of adapters.
The whole setup comes to less than the cost of a getrag but the installation is a bit trickier. Not much but a bit.
Details, please, with photos, for a Blitz article.

Mike

1 - 20 of 54 Posts