Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,049 Posts
Mike, this was a group buy about 1-2 years ago (?). As we tell all the newbies "Use the Search" feature! ...:lmao: ...:lmao:

Doug
It actually wasn't a group buy.

To date, from my designs, there have been FIVE adapters made.

3 were made for the GM T5 and one each of two different Mustang Adapters.
The three that were made for the GM T5 are still in my possession. One is in my GT. My son has one to put in his GT eventually, and the third is just sitting on my floor so I can stub my toe on it whenever the cats drag it out from under my corner table.

Mike... Someday I will write something up for you. After all it was a 30+ year dream in the making.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
George, people aren't being mean to you. Opels really aren't worth a lot of money and people who own them aren't generally willing to spend top prices for common parts. As for transmissions, people who do spend the bucks on full restorations often upgrade to a 5 speed Getrag or T5 instead of the relatively weak Opel box.

It is very nice of you to help out in this sad time.

Thank you, I'm not offended at all! I appreciate the forum and the info.

The only thing i'm disappointed about is most of this will be turned into scrap, and that I won't be able to cover the cost of my truck rental.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,933 Posts
As for the T5's, there are plenty of parts and upgrades out there. I would personally go with the Mustang/Merkur versions, and even more preferred for racing would be a later (World Class) Ford T5 with the close-ratio gear set, and a selectable 5th gear ratio.

The GM S10 T5's are cheap but the very low 1st gear may not be all that useful for a small car. (But I my thinking is 'geared' more toward a close ratio box....) So if you consider this upgrade, research all of the gear ratio options before you commit to one path or the other.

The worst part for me for using the stock trannies in rallying was the tall 2-3 gear step, just too big of a step at the wrong speeds. (Never had the high $$ to put in a steep rear gear to get around that.)

George, too bad you are not closer.

·
Über Genius
9,049 Posts
I put together an excel spreadsheet that calculated speed VS rpm dependent on the gear ratio of the transmission.
In a small car its almost insignificant differences in the 1-4 gear category but 5th gear was a big difference.

Reactions: soybean and dpre

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The worst part for me for using the stock trannies in rallying was the tall 2-3 gear step, just too big of a step at the wrong speeds. (Never had the high $$ to put in a steep rear gear to get around that.)
I can only imagine how annoying that must be in full racing competition!!!! I find that 2-3 step annoying just daily spirited driving!!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Thank you, I'm not offended at all! I appreciate the forum and the info.

The only thing i'm disappointed about is most of this will be turned into scrap, and that I won't be able to cover the cost of my truck rental.
Sorry to hear that.....that sucks...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have family in Dallas and Ft Worth and my wife's family is in San Antonio so if the right parts show up I will have a way to get them "closer to home". Do you have a long list or is it just about done?

Doug (in Phoenix)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quick junkyard search for "our" '68-'75 Opel Tranny's sitting in all US junkyards:

14 Automatic
High $100 Low $75 All others "Call for quote"

28 Manual 4-sp.
High $375 Low $100 All others "Call for quote"

Only 1 that is "tested" and says "Call for quote"

·
Über Genius
9,049 Posts
Quick junkyard search for "our" '68-'75 Opel Tranny's sitting in all US junkyards:

14 Automatic
High $100 Low $75 All others "Call for quote"

28 Manual 4-sp.
High $375 Low $100 All others "Call for quote"

Only 1 that is "tested" and says "Call for quote"
How does one search all these junk yards?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I will apologize first,
I keep hearing/reading getrag and T-5 transmissions and was afraid to ask but I must know
Are these trans new and readily available
If so do they swap right out with existing original 4 speeds?
I can only give the information on the Getrag. It is a bolt up, no modification thing. However, you will need to get a larger clutch plate and clutch disk. If you get the rebuilt Getrag from Gil, you don't need to do anything, It will hook up to a 1.9lt engine, or a 2.4 Opel engine. So simple I even did it. You will also have to get the drive shaft shortened or get an automatic drive shaft and that will do the job. You can get the transmissions and the drive shaft at OGTS or from some of the guys here on the forum. You will have to modify the location of the shifter. I had OGTS do everything so all I had to do is drop it in. Well worth the money spent. If you are on a small budget, you should probably do it yourself and save some money.

Bob

·
Registered
743 Posts
I can only give the information on the Getrag. It is a bolt up, no modification thing. However, you will need to get a larger clutch plate and clutch disk. If you get the rebuilt Getrag from Gil, you don't need to do anything, It will hook up to a 1.9lt engine, or a 2.4 Opel engine. So simple I even did it. You will also have to get the drive shaft shortened or get an automatic drive shaft and that will do the job. You can get the transmissions and the drive shaft at OGTS or from some of the guys here on the forum.

Bob
There is no stock Getrag 240 that will fit a GT, Kadett B or Ascona/Manta A without moving the shifter forward, and the tranny crossmember must also be modified. The stock 8" clutch is compatible with the Getrag 240 as the spline count and diameter of the input shaft is the same in both transmissions. The drive shaft from an automatic is too short for a Getrag 240, but it fits plug & play with a Getrag 265 or ZF 5-speed. A shortened four speed drive shaft needs the yoke from a Getrag 240 or an automatic(or the yoke from a 2,2 - 2,8 liter six cylinder CIH, but those are not an option in the US, but on the other hand, an early Vega yoke might fit, afaik they used the same transmission), the original four cylinder CIH yoke doesn't fit.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
There is no stock Getrag 240 that will fit a GT, Kadett B or Ascona/Manta A without moving the shifter forward, and the tranny crossmember must also be modified. The stock 8" clutch is compatible with the Getrag 240 as the spline count and diameter of the input shaft is the same in both transmissions. The drive shaft from an automatic is too short for a Getrag 240, but it fits plug & play with a Getrag 265 or ZF 5-speed. A shortened four speed drive shaft needs the yoke from a Getrag 240 or an automatic(or the yoke from a 2,2 - 2,8 liter six cylinder CIH, but those are not an option in the US, but on the other hand, an early Vega yoke might fit, afaik they used the same transmission), the original four cylinder CIH yoke doesn't fit.
Commodåren You are right, it's been a while since I did mine. Had OGTS do everything to the Getrag so all I had to do was put it in.

Bob

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I have family in Dallas and Ft Worth and my wife's family is in San Antonio so if the right parts show up I will have a way to get them "closer to home". Do you have a long list or is it just about done?

Doug (in Phoenix)
I'll send a picture of the entire collection.

What parts are you looking for?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I send a picture of the entire collection.

What parts are you looking for?
Actually, George, nothing in particular but I have so many "planned" changes to my GT that if I see something that fits my plans, I get it! Right now (for the last 2+ years) my Bonneville bike is taking an inordinate amount of my time and money.

Doug

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I put together an excel spreadsheet that calculated speed VS rpm dependent on the gear ratio of the transmission.
In a small car its almost insignificant differences in the 1-4 gear category but 5th gear was a big difference.
Does it include the Getrag? I have one bolted to an engine now with an S-10 clutch, pressure plate etc. I know at 75 Mph, My poor Gt was struggling to make it to the Nationals. 3500 Rpms can't be good for my engine. That was the beginning of a Loong trip and multiple fiascos. But we made it.:cool: Thanks, Jarrell

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Actually, George, nothing in particular but I have so many "planned" changes to my GT that if I see something that fits my plans, I get it! Right now (for the last 2+ years) my Bonneville bike is taking an inordinate amount of my time and money.

Doug
Almost as bad as a Harley, huh? Mine encompassed my life for 7 years. Lifestyle too. Not Good.:ugh: Doug

·
Über Genius
9,049 Posts
Does it include the Getrag? I have one bolted to an engine now with an S-10 clutch, pressure plate etc. I know at 75 Mph, My poor Gt was struggling to make it to the Nationals. 3500 Rpms can't be good for my engine. That was the beginning of a Loong trip and multiple fiascos. But we made it.:cool: Thanks, Jarrell
It's variable.

If you give me the gear ratios of the getrag, I can punch them in and tell you all you need to know about RPM vs gear ratio.

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
It's variable.

If you give me the gear ratios of the getrag, I can punch them in and tell you all you need to know about RPM vs gear ratio.
To be Honest, I don't really know. I picked this unit up about 8 or more years ago for $500. All I can remember was somebody had it up East Coast? Decided they didn't want it, I bought it bolted it up, got stuck on the shifter part fabricating, and stopped. Gil told me at the Nationals to take a picture of where I was stuck and he'd help me out. Really nice. How do I find out the Gear ratios? It's got to be better on my engine at 70, in terms of RPMs, than what I have now. Thanks, Jarrell

21 - 40 of 54 Posts