Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know... but I couldn't come up with a better subject line...

Can I get any feedback on trickle chargers? The things you plug in or that are solar that provide a constant trickle charge to your car battery to extend the life. I have seen two advertised lately - one is solar and one is a 110 plugin. They both have the following specs: 1.5 watts, 22.5 voltage, and 120 mA.

Do these things really work? Do they charge the battery or just don't let it completely dead for a longer time?

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I have a coupple of those trickle chargers, and they always work great. I would put one on a car or motorcycle over the winter and the battery would be more than fully charged in the spring. You obviously need to winterize you car, but they do work. Too bad I always forget to hook them up and I end up with dead batteries......

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the numbers I posted (1.5 watts, 22.5 volts, and 120 mA) sufficient?

A friend of mine recently bought a solar one. He leaves it plugged in all of the time to a power port in the rear of his Explorer. He just sets the solar panel in the rear too. Out of the way and constantly charging his battery. Not knowing about these I had doubts about how these really work.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
A slow-trickle low amp charger is best for the battery. High amperage will shorten the battery life. The newer computer controlled units (only charges when it needs it) work well for battery maintenance, I just got a solar unit for my tow-rig, since it will not be used a lot. How many amps to use? It depends on the draw while the vehicle is 'down'. Multiple clocks, stereo memory, etc., all add the the battery drain. Mine is a .5 amp unit. I normally charge weak batteries with a 2 amp full size chargers, only switching to 10 amps if it's REALLY weak to begin with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts