Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a metal rear trim strip for an Opel GT and also plastic grills that go in the defroster slots at the base of the windshield. I know these are scarce but I won't be needing them for awhile. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I looked at mine and they are just on the edge of crap and a total POS.
I'll probably make custom parts since I'm not going for a restore.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,202 Posts
For everyone's benefit, I gave this link to Jay previously, along with this comment:

GT defroster vents in anything resembling good condition are as scarce as hens teeth. And on top of that they had an absolutely horrible, ineffective, design. They are something like 16" long, yet all the air comes out of the middle 4" and doesn't fan out, due to improper design. If your windshield fogs up they only clear two 6" wide stripes and leave all the rest foggy. I used 5" long ones made by Vintage Air on my custom dash that are properly designed and they defrost/defog the entire windshield. Since then they have come out with longer versions that presumably are designed properly also, but I haven't tried them. I will on my new project car's custom dash. They also sell cover plates that might cover over the huge cracked oem vent openings that stock GT dashes have. I'm currently using the first type in the link shown below and they work better than any of the defroster vents my GT's have had in 40 years of Opeling. You could give me brand new oem defroster vents still in the box and I would toss them in the garbage and buy one of the Vintage Air ones.:

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you talking about this one? 1953-56 F-100 Part #: 63156-LFE Defrost Duct They don't list a dimension for it but it looks good but I am hoping to keep the original look, if possible... Thanks,

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
I am looking for a metal rear trim strip for an Opel GT and also plastic grills that go in the defroster slots at the base of the windshield. I know these are scarce but I won't be needing them for awhile. Thanks.
I have a new and several used trim strips. Can bring to Carlisle in May.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,202 Posts
Are you talking about this one? 1953-56 F-100 Part #: 63156-LFE Defrost Duct They don't list a dimension for it but it looks good but I am hoping to keep the original look, if possible... Thanks View attachment 431731

Hmm....in retrospect, I think I used a type that's on the 2nd page:
633810-VUA - Defrost Duct Pair Universal w/ Integrated Air Diverters

Price: $12.00
This injection molded universal defrost duct set for 2-inch duct hose offers dual mounting options and features integrated air diverters. Dimensions are 6.25-inches x 2.75 inches deep.

This appears to be the only one that is hard plastic with fins inside that effectively fan out the air evenly. ALL of the other types seem to be a cheaper vacuum formed type with no fins inside. The fins are what do the trick. But this type is only 6.25 inches long. GT dashes have bolts embedded in them that stick down for the 16" long vents to attach to. You would have to make an adapter plate underneath the dash to bolt the type I bought to and then bolts to those oem dash bolts. But, of course, you would end up with a 6.25" vent in a 16" long slot in the dash. Now, if you were going to have your dash recovered by a company like Just Dashes, they could adjust their upholstery for the smaller vents. Or you could make a piece of black paintedsheet metal or black plastic to cover the 16" long slot and leave just the 6.25" opening. One way othe other, you would be needing to do a little customizing. For me, that's nothing, I do that sort of thing at the drop of a hat, but you might not feel that comfortable doing that. Take comfort in knowing that just about every GT has the same problem with deteriorated defrost vents. You could simply make a black plastic or nice painted black sheet metal cover/surround that covers the ugliness of the deteriorated oem vents. The oem ones still work.....poorly.......but they do work and the only thing you would need to make is that nice cover plate with a slot in it.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Not sure how though. Is there a PM feature on this forum or are you talking about FaceBook? Thanks.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Thanks. Not sure how though. Is there a PM feature on this forum or are you talking about FaceBook? Thanks.
Click on his icon. Then click "Conversations".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts