Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
536 Posts
Wait, What, I thought it was just a trailer? Now I have to find it. I'll be indoors for the next 3 days.
Florida is going to be well below my 72 degree threshold LOL
So this would not be a good time to tell you that Santa is REAL.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just got some two Conversation messages about some parts I wanted from someone named mosconelson9394 who wanted me to respond via email to marcuschupo1313 at aol dot com in one message and mikecollins231 at protonmail dot com in the second message. Same guy with "Mosco" in in his name and "1313" in one of his email addresses. Two email addresses for the same guy.
I got one e-mail from ...9394, as well, saying he had an LSD I'd been looking for a while back, at a good price. Seemed fishy to me.

·
Registered
850 Posts
On another Vertical Scope car forum where I'm the lead mod, we're seeing a huge influx in spammers these last few months.

The classifieds section on our forums (which is hardly used), is invaded with bots spamming and scamming. They'll take pics from elsewhere on the net and post it as their own. They'll try to move all conversations off to an email address. They'll perhaps conduct their business over PM, knowing that since Vertical Scope took over, moderators can't see that (only Admins, of which there are none except Vertical Scope's). They'll ask for payment via Paypal's "Friends and Family" option, which has no fees, but also has no buyer protection (otherwise Paypal is pretty buyer-friendly in terms of who they presume to be telling the truth for refunds, seller-wise not so much).

We probably get 2-3 of these accounts per day, on a forum not much bigger than OpelGT's. I created a thread about it and, boom, tons of this activity never made it to the surface, almost all users had several experiences like this and just ignored it or never thought much about it. So now we're all a little more cooperative on using the Report button.

Another spam tactic is to quote a long post, and reply with something simple and unobtrusive. But what they've done is edit the longer post they quoted, and stuff links into some of the text they're quoting. Even when this gets auto-flagged for spam, the moderator doing the spam cleaning (nor the forum members casually reading) can't see the links, because the quoted section only shows the first couple lines unless you opt to dig deeper. So it looks like nothing is amiss in what they wrote, nothing is amiss in what they quoted, and it floats under the radar while they steal legitimacy and SEO benefits from the links.

Another tactic is later editing links in their profile, since no one ever really checks on the profile pages of users who never post, and the links weren't there when they first created their account, it's easy to slip under the radar again. The autoflagger will often pick these up but they're easy to miss on the moderator panel.

I've told the community it's a bit rude to presume, but certainly reasonable to be skeptical that literally every person selling anything to you by any method, that you don't recognize as active in the community, is a spammer. There just isn't a lot of buy and sell there, (same as here).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems to be an increased activity here as well. I put up a wanted for a brake caliper a few days back, and got contacted by a newly registered member claiming to have one. It all smelled fishy, and when I asked for pictures I got pictures pasted from opelgtparts.com. I reported the guy, and he got banned. Today I got a message from "another" member, registered since three hours, claiming his father has one. I guess from now on you can only trust people that has been around for a year or more and with a credible forum track record.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts