Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
True backyard mechanic . . . of necessity, in Malaysia

Been corresponding with Peter Bravo about his SSD '71 Manta for about a week now. Talk about finding a true backyard mechanic halfway around the other side of the world! His father is passing the Opel torch to him and I'm quite in awe of the resourcefulness of someone with so few resources at hand.

This guy has fixed many things on his car out of necessity, not just replaced with another part. His site should be an inspiration not only to all Opel beginners just getting started, but a rejuvenation of sorts to many of us old-timers as well. Get your dose of inspiration at his site! :cool:

· Registered
213 Posts
Thats great... i admire people that just decide to try out something new for the first time... and succeed.

he didn't give out from what exact car the bushings were from, only that they are from somewhere else, would have been very helpful to know. :(
It is noted here that the front anti-roll bar rubber bushings were also modified from some other closely-matched bushings - pressed home tightly.

· Über Moderator
6,782 Posts
Very cool. When Myrna and I were in Malaysia last summer (just before we met Otto et al at the 2003 OMC Picnic), we happened upon a couple of Opels, one of which was a mid-'70's Rekord with a 2.0 CIH. But I didn't see any Asconas or Manta's.

I recall seeing the road signs indicating Ipoh, but I don't recall exactly where it was. But wherever in Malaysia he lives, my hat is off to him for keeping his Manta in such nice shape. It is a VERY hot place (so hot, it is common practise to leave the wiper blades folded up to keep them from melting to the windshield!). And the Malay drivers are among the worlds' most skillful. Many two lane highways, with the ubiquitous motorcycles (with at least one, and sometimes two or three or FOUR passengers!) driving along just below traffic speed on the shoulders, at the same time being passed by cars in the adjacent lane, which in turn are being passed by faster traffic, so they "move over" into the shoulder, since there is inevitably oncoming traffic. Which is often in a similar configuration. So you might actually get four cars abreast, and perhaps a motorcycle or two, all at the same place, closing on each other at twice 100 km/h (60 mph), and the occasional pedestrian as well, all on a two lane highway. Yet in two weeks and many miles of touring around, we never saw a single accident. Compared to Thailand, where we saw at least one car accident per day...

Neat car, terrific country, good web site.

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hurrah for backyard mechanics!

Perhaps a bit disconcerting, but it's interesting, to me at least, that the only two respondents to this week-old post are non-US members. ;)

· Registered
275 Posts
I must have missed this one the first time around. Checked out the link and got to say I'm stunned and amazed at the organization and wealth of detail and information. The timeline of work and costs is a valuable bit of info by itself but the documentation (including pics) is im-press-ive.
Can't call myself a true backyard mechanic (other than the fact that mine is literally in the backyard) but this fellow raises it to a new level entirely.
Thanks tekenaar for bringing this around again.

· Registered
1 Posts
Alot of thank

Wow i did't know the site had done a great job and thank alot for the complement out there and the site actually done by my father thank for his great job but this few year thing get too busy so did't update the log alot of thing had been done to the manta and it turned up great and the engine just complete with it 4th time overhaul and now currently ran on. The opel still in great shape and plenty project would like to do to bring the manta to greaters shape but all this have to postponed since im still a student due to financial, for your infomation manta in malaysia is almost gone, hardly can see it around the country..... by the way thank for all the support.

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bravomanta71 said:
Wow i did't know the site had done a great job and thank alot for the complement out there and the site actually done by my father thank for his great job but this few year thing get too busy so did't update the log alot of thing had been done to the manta and it turned up great and the engine just complete with it 4th time overhaul and now currently ran on. The opel still in great shape and plenty project would like to do to bring the manta to greaters shape but all this have to postponed since im still a student due to financial, for your infomation manta in malaysia is almost gone, hardly can see it around the country..... by the way thank for all the support.
Don't know if you know this, but there is another Manta owner in Malaysia, also a member here, Nasser <nachi11744>. You two should try to contact each other. His Manta is down right now with a continuing internal coolant leak, coolant in oil. Perhaps you can help each other out, share parts, sources, etc.

1,100 Posts
The link in the first post doesn't work. Can you repost or send link? I'm curious.
Thanks,

Jim

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peter Bravo's site link

timemachine said:
The link in the first post doesn't work. Can you repost or send link? I'm curious.
Thanks,

Jim
Have PMed him for current site info.

Yea, 2K! :yup:

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peter Bravo's new site link

timemachine said:
Thanks,

Jim
Nasser <nachi11744> et alia,
Peter just sent me his new site link. Check it out . . . :yup:

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RHD Steinmetz intake

GTJIM said:
Unusual Steinmetz SSD intake manifold - probably give much more clearance in a GT as well.
. . . bet you thought the 'shorty' Steinmetz was hard to find . . . this one must be close to a 'one off'!!!

· Detroit,where my home was
2,998 Posts
Very impressive and resourcefull. Otto he's looking for a replacement for the voltage stabilizer for the gas and temp meters I would like to send him an E-Mail about that, but can't find the adress, do you know it??

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peter's e-mail address

2 Fast 4 U said:
Very impressive and resourcefull. Otto he's looking for a replacement for the voltage stabilizer for the gas and temp meters I would like to send him an E-Mail about that, but can't find the address, do you know it??
Who, Nasser or Peter? Think you meant Peter . . . < [email protected] >

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steinmetz shorty SSD manifold

GTJIM said:
Unusual Steinmetz SSD intake manifold - probably give much more clearance in a GT as well.
Actually, with a little planning, the standard shorty Steinmetz SSD manifold works quite nicely in a GT, even enlarged to fit a DHLA48!! :yup:

· Detroit,where my home was
2,998 Posts
I sent him the scematic for the voltage stabilizers rebuild with new electronic components a few days back, in case he runs out of OEM ones

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.