Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Previous owner put in two speakers in the partition that creates the "trunk"--it is a cheesy piece of pressed board or some such thing--the apron does not snap onto it as the reciprocal snaps on the board are missing. Wondering what I can use to remount the speakers into something stronger that will hold the reciprocal snap parts. Also wondering how to attach this new board to the interior. It is not attached now and just sort of sits up or flops down into the trunk. Wish the speakers could be put soewhere else as they take up space in the already reduced size trunk. Any ideas out there for a lady Opeler???? :)
jo

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Jo;
This panel is just a simple piece of wood, and the snaps for the spare tire flap double as the attachment screws for the panel at the top. Smaller sheet metal screws attach the bottom of the panel. As for remaking the panel of of different material, the sky's the limit. I remade mine out of thick "bullet-proof" plexi-glass and covered it with matching interior material. You can use wood, metal or whatever you have or can find. As for mounting speakers, especially in this panel, they would take up no "trunk" space, as removing this panel only allows for access to replacing the rear shocks. Now, as for being creative about mounting speakers and saving your rear space, again, this is only limited by one's imagination. One of the trickest installs I have seen was done by Wayne Torman, in which he mounted his speakers in the package tray floor. He took the floor panel out, cut his holes, mounted some real stiff wire mesh to protect the speakers and still allow stuff to be placed on the package tray and had the speakers play up through the carpet on the package tray, VERY SLICK!!!
Gene

·
415 Posts
As we say here in the deep south "anything for a lady" especialy one who is also into Opels!

From your discription it sounds like the pan that holds the spare over the tank is missing as well. If so you will first need to replace that. You could make one from MDF board. There are screws that hold it to a "lip" that runs down thes sides. As to the speakers, many of us have mounted them in the wood pannel (a new one from MDF again) that runs the width of the back under the flap. It is held in by about 6-8 small screws. I'll try to get a photo posted. Good luck.

http://opelgt.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6147

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
In the Proper Forum Please...

Jo,
Now that you are an official Opeler, it is expected of you to post as such. So no more "Introduction" posts! I moved this thread to the "2B - Seats, Windows and Interior trim" Forum, but depending on where it ends up going, it may also belong in the "Sound Systems" Forum. HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts