Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming the majority have switched from points to electronic ignition. How often should the plugs be changed? Years ago I increased the plug gap to .035" and changed plugs at 10K. Didn't notice a decrease in performance as much as a drop in fuel economy. Usually got my money back for the plugs after the first or second tank of gas. Now that we have Platinum and Iridium plugs what should the gaps be, and how often should they be changed? Are the Iridium plugs worth the extra money, especially considering how easy they are to change?

Harold

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Assuming the majority have switched from points to electronic ignition. How often should the plugs be changed? Years ago I increased the plug gap to .035" and changed plugs at 10K. Didn't notice a decrease in performance as much as a drop in fuel economy. Usually got my money back for the plugs after the first or second tank of gas. Now that we have Platinum and Iridium plugs what should the gaps be, and how often should they be changed? Are the Iridium plugs worth the extra money, especially considering how easy they are to change?

Harold
And the part nos for the Platinum are....?
And the part nos for the Iridium are...?
Thanks, Jarrell

·
1,778 Posts
I think about the only way you can get the Bosch platinum plugs is thru Gil at OGTS. He recently came across a pallet of them somewhere. I know of no other parts store that has them. I don't think the OEM condensers are to be had either. For us who still use points, Blue Streaks are gone.

·
1,219 Posts
The main reason that plugs needed to be changed so often was leaded gas. It left deposits that fouled plugs. Points in a good distributor will last 20,000 miles. That’s about 7 years of driving on my GTs. My low compression 1.9 is running electronic ignition. My 2.0 high compression is running points. Installed points and plugs in 2016. Still runs great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts