Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Opel Manta Luxus
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn signal starts to blink at a normal speed, then starts blinking very fast. Any ideas why? Is the flasher bad?

·
Über Genius
9,457 Posts
Using LED bulbs. My Mercedes does that.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,448 Posts
Corrosion on the bulb, or the grounding wire. I was following a co-worker a week ago, noticed both sides of his turn signals on his 5 year old Nissan were fast. Checked with him the next day, both front signal bulbs had corrosion on them. Wiggling them back and forth already scraped enough of it off to fix his problem.

Dieter

Reactions: Luxusburg

·
Registered
571 Posts
Most of the old school, electro-mechanical flasher pots are designed to operate within a certain range in terms of wattage or load. Like 2 Fast said, one bad bulb or an arcing ground would produce that inconsistency. If it only does it ever so often, it is more than likely some corrosion in one of the bulb sockets. Clean all the little brown body ground wires connections.

·
Registered
1974 Opel Manta Luxus
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I’ll check the bulbs, sockets and grounds. It didn’t blink fast yesterday when I took it for a short drive to get the alternator tested. There’s a short somewhere in the wiring, not sure if that would cause the fast blink or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My turn signal starts to blink at a normal speed, then starts blinking very fast. Any ideas why? Is the flasher bad?
On these older cars a fast turn signal is caused by the circuit drawing too much current. Usually this is a short. This is because the blinking mechanism is a bi-metallic spring contact. As current goes through it, it heats and curves and breaks the circuit. It then cools and re-makes the circuit. Drawing too much current heats it up much faster and thus the circuit is broken faster. Conversely, if the circuit doesn't pull enough current, like a burned out bulb, the blinkers go slowly. If you use LED bulbs on these types of cars sometimes the blinkers will be very slow or not work at all since the blinker doesn't ge hot enough. You can replace the blinker module with a solid state one that will work with LED bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts