Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a new clutch in my '72 gt, but I have two springs left. The car runs and drives fine, except the throttle sticks open, which I had predicted since I am pretty sure that one of the springs is from my throttle linkage. My carburetor is a Webber (32 I think). I will try to attach a picture of the two springs. I believe the small one is for the throttle linkage, whereas the larger spring was on the ground immediatly after I got the transmission out. It could have been there already, as I was working in another guys area at the auto shop at which I work, but some suggested it might go on the shifter. Please, if anyone knows where either of these springs go (especially the throttle linkage spring), reply to this post, as this is my daily driver since my '55 chevy won't start.

Thanks,

Brit

·
Registered
616 Posts
the one in the bottom of the pics is the throttle linkage spring, it goes on the carb side of the engine from the plate with the hole in it that goes off the last rod in the linkage to another plate directly under it that is welded to the engine compartment, i just put it on not too long ago myself... hope that explanation made sense

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Brendan. From your description, I don't know how I could have missed it, since I looked all over in that area, but I will write down what you posted and take it with me to work tomorrow, since that is where the car is.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
Time to pop the driveshaft back off...

The big spring is the driveshaft thrust spring, which sits in the tail housing of the transmission, and THEN the driveshaft is inserted. Rumour has it if you leave it out, you run the risk of having the driveshaft and torque tube inner shaft "walk" forward out of the differential splines; or at least thats what I was told when I did the same thing! And you risk having the driveshaft rattle around more than it should. Not so big a deal...

The little spring looks like one of the throttle springs. It probably is the one that goes on the linkage just behind the carb, hooking on the lever with the hole in it and the tab on the body just below it. There is also one on the other side, connecting to the pedal linkage arm on the driver side. Again, so I was told, because my GT hasn't had that spring in the 28 years I have owned it.

HTH

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
The other spring is the driveshaft thrust spring... put that one back into the tranny tailshaft.

Whoops, I see Keith beat me. Moderator can delete this post.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Springs

Brit:

The second spring is the thrust spring that goes between the drive shaft and the the transmission. That is it fits inside the transmission side of the drive shaft to prevent the drive shaft from moving forward and back. Hope that helps.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Three answers in one minute

Three answers and less than seconds apart. The best thing? They all say the same thing. No wonder I like this group.

Bob :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm sure glad I asked about that driveshaft spring, and I can picture where that one goes. I just hope I can find where the throttle spring goes from your descriptions. I agree with Bob--Its pretty amazing that I can get results like this just from posting pictures.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Pretty amazing

when i put the T-5 5 speed in my GT i had to leave the trans spring out

it did not cause any problems

Davegt27

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Now that's interesting, Dave. When I was talking to Gil about my V-6/T-5 swap he was sure that I needed both springs to balance the load kinda on the torque tube shaft. I measured the ID and OD of the output shaft and got a spring from him that works nicely. Both springs working against each other kinda let the drive shaft and torque tube inner shaft float under opposing tension. From what you said, your drive shaft must be loaded against the tranny, either that or there is a lot of clearance inside the output shaft cavity that the spring in the torque tube isn't under any load at all.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
OK i think i remember i could not use the Opel spring since it sorta fits in the back of the trans

since i had a T-5 it would not fit so i just bolted things up like that

not saying it was right but i ran that trans for years doing solo II events and going to the drag strip.

never had a problem

Not sure what you mean when you say both springs could you explain.

Davegt27

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yep, there is a spring in the torque tube shaft also, so the torque tube shaft and the drive shaft are under opposing spring pressures. I found out when I changed the donut on the torque tube, the shaft came out along with a spring. So I put the spring back down the tube and slid the shaft back in on top of it. It's probably the same set up as the spring inside the tranny output shaft housing. HTH.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
namba209 said:
Yep, there is a spring in the torque tube shaft also, so the torque tube shaft and the drive shaft are under opposing spring pressures.
Hmm, not on any Opel I have taken apart. Nor is it in the FSM. Are you SURE Ron? Maybe a Camaro or some other torque tube car?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I give up Keith. When I did the donut, the shaft and spring came out so I just put them back in. Maybe it was something that may be needed with the ZF posi. I have no idea. I did check the Cross Reference Parts List and you're right it doesn't show the spring there either. Oh well, extra parts is better than not enuff. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts