Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeler
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my Manta apart to change the clutch and noticed I need a new rear u-joint. I see OGTS has them but notes that they must be installed with injected plastic. Can anyone describe the process to me? Is this something I can do myself? My rear joint looks like it's been staked in place but I can see plastic "slugs" at the front joint where the cups fit into the yokes.
Thanks,
Don

·
Administrator
10,272 Posts
I have not had the "pleasure" of replacing an Opel u-joint. I do remember reading about how melted plastic helped to hold them in place. My solution was to swap out the driveshaft with a spare. :rolleyes:

Can anyone help Don?

Admin note: Moved to Drivetrain Forum

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
Has anybody priced custom driveshafts with replaceable u-joints for Opels?

·
Opeler
138 Posts
U-joints

I had to replace my u-joints last year. I decided to go with the method Gary recommended. Just replace the driveshaft with a good used one.

However, I did that after calling Gil at OGTS. He explains the process very well. After that, you are in a better position to make your decision.

Good Luck, Richard

·
Opeler
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. OGTS also advised me to replace the shaft, although they also explained how to replace just the joint. Less effort to just get another shaft. They even provided a number of potential sources since they didn't have one. They are at the top of my list of favorite Opel part suppliers!

·
648 Posts
I'm real curious about Opel's rational of building a drive shaft without changable u-joints. Mazda did the same thing with the 1st gen RX7. Makes no sense.

James

·
315 Posts
A couple of points.

First, for most folks, the best solution is to just find another driveshaft. Replacing the u-joints requires some specialized equipment. As long as you get a good one (driveshaft) it will hold up to the few thousand miles per year that most of us drive our street opels.

For those trying to go for the 150+ HP membership, then a used driveshaft with a bunch of miles is going to let you down. Buy the u-joints from the Opel GT Source and find a drive shaft shop in you area who has the injection stuff.

Why did Opel do this? Back in the olden days a lot of cars were done this way. Every automotive shop with a hydraulic press also had the injection stuff. Now days they are hard to find.

·
299 Posts
its not the oled days car manufacturers that did it because they still do
i live in a big town with a diverse industrial /automotive setting and no one has one

i also thought i has seen someone that bought the new u joints and the tack welded them in
if it works i think it would be an easy solution
and i am also wondering if the chevvetes used an opel trans might it have the same spline count with bigger easier to replace u joints

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
447 Posts
Tack weld U-Joints in??

72opelguy said:

i also thought i has seen someone that bought the new u joints and the tack welded them in
Welding on a bearing surface? Not on my car.

·
Opeler
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
u-joints

No, don't ever weld them in!

OGTS said you can set them in place with 5-minute epoxy injected with a syringe. Tricky part is getting them exactly centered so the balance/runout is good. My shaft had been peened over on the axle end so I'd have trouble getting old ones out/new ones in and centered. Used shaft is the way to go.

I'm in the Detroit area but so far haven't located a shop that can do injection. This process is still used on many GM and Chrysler vehicles (probably others too), but I think the yokes are machined inside so replacement joints can be secured and positioned with inner snap rings.

·
Administrator
10,272 Posts
72opelguy said:
...and i am also wondering if the chevettes used an opel trans might it have the same spline count with bigger easier to replace u joints
The Opel automatic trans has a standard GM spline and uses a standard GM yoke.

·
299 Posts
i dont know what i am going to do if anything right now
i am planning a t10 trans swap soon so then i wont have to worry about that plus i only have one u joint that is slightly bad
so if it goes it goes it has lasted to 30 years of abuse i think it can handle a few months

1 - 12 of 12 Posts