Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I would get my U-Joints replaced with injected plastic and is this the only way or can I find other U-Joints that will fit where I don't have to have them injected? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
GT Universal Joints

How come nobody has responded to this question?

I recall reading somewhere that the U-joints have to be replaced by "injecting plastic" around the new bearing shell in the retaining yoke, but can't find any reference to this (or any other) procedure in my 1972 Opel factory service manual, nor in the three after-market manuals I own. One (the Autobook Manual) actually refers to locking circlips that come in three colour codes according to thickness, but I think that is just a re-print from another manual! There are NOT any locking circlips visible on the Opel U-joint, nor is there any visible way to lubricate them (except for the bearing shells that connect to the torque tube drive shaft, which can be separated by cutting the retaining wire once the U-bolts are removed)

Is it a matter of replacing the driveshaft should the U-joints become damaged? Or did Opel intend that the U-joints outlast the car? Curious minds want to know!

·
648 Posts
Keith,

It's on a "need to know basis",
and I need to know too!
James
the headless Opelman

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
So, fifteen months later, I am doing a bit of housekeeping again, and there STILL aren't any responses. Anyone ever changed a universal joint in an Opel?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Keith to start I didn't respond, but since you ask most drive line shops are familiar with the procedure. It is a type of injection of plastic. I've never had to do it but when I did the Getrag shaft we talked about it and what is involved. I have always had spare drive shafts on hand so I solexed the bad ones and replaced them. Ok now you can say that nobody responded to the question.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Keith, when I had my driveshaft shortened for the V-6/T-5 mod, I had new u-joints put in on both ends, the S-10 for the front, standard installation, press fit, circlips, no problem. I had the driveline shop get hold of Gil at OGTS for a new rear u-joint, I have a standing account with them, and he sent them the complett u-joint along with the plastic injection stuff, I think. Any way the drivshaft folks knew what to do either because of experience or because they talked to Gil or Dennis. HTH.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
14,062 Posts
kwilford said:
So, fifteen months later, I am doing a bit of housekeeping again, and there STILL aren't any responses. Anyone ever changed a universal joint in an Opel?
Used to do them all the time. Used epoxy instead of injected plastic. The critical factor is alignment, so I used a dial depth gauge and a micrometer to measure the u-joint width and centering. Otherwise it will vibrate on re-assembly. If you need details, I'll e-mail you off-list Keith.

Bob

·
299 Posts
well i thin i have a solution for the driveshaft/u joint thing
i just got my th200 for my opel today and it still has the transmission yoke and u joint in it
this transmission is from a chevette the use the torque tube setup like the gt
anyway if you have a getrag5 speed you can use the chevette driveshaft assembly which has replacable u joints you might have to get the yoke that bolts to the torque shaft to match the u joints but they are replacable and they even have the spring inside the trans yoke now as far as the opel 4 speed goes i cant help other than agree with bob and fill it with epoxy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.