Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air conditioning. Every classic Opeler’s dream, right? Well it seems that after some luck I found a brand-new New Vintage Auto air conditioning kit for a discounted price, and that dream will be realized. Since the kit comes with excellent instructions, I won’t be detailing each step, but rather taking pictures of the process and answering any questions I receive.

Here is a picture of all of the components that come with the kit, updates will follow as I make progress.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Air conditioning. Every classic Opeler’s dream, right? Well it seems that after some luck I found a brand-new New Vintage Auto air conditioning kit for a discounted price, and that dream will be realized. Since the kit comes with excellent instructions, I won’t be detailing each step, but rather taking pictures of the process and answering any questions I receive.

Here is a picture of all of the components that come with the kit, updates will follow as I make progress. View attachment 424603
Very nice!

·
RunOpel
811 Posts
Of all the air condition units I have looked at and even tempted to buy, none were a match to what you scored. Amazing how well it has been preserved over the many years :)

Good luck, I look forward to your progress reports.

·
Opeler
682 Posts
I believe that is a new kit, from Keith's shop in Tennessee. It just happened to come from a member who re-sold an uninstalled kit.

·
Opeler
682 Posts
Congrats on the find! I just ordered this kit from Opelspyder, and I am looking forward to seeing your pictorial installation. I'm not going to know how to act, having a/c in the GT.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So I got home from Washington (where the AC kit was) today, and started pulling apart the GT. I got the radiator out, and removed the alternator pulley. I seem to have the same problem Knorm had with his: the alternator isn’t stock and Keith’s pulley will need to be machined to fit correctly. Rats. Picture is of my engine bay before I started. I’ll pressure wash the car and vacuum the interior tomorrow, it’s a hot mess right now.

·
Opeler
682 Posts
While on the phone with Opelspyder, he mentioned a preferred alternator. He suggested a CS130 105 amp GM alternator. Most come with a serpentine pulley, that you replace with the pulley in the kit. He also includes pulley shims, to assist with belt alignment. This is the one I ordered from Summit. ACDelco Alternators 88877224

Wes

·
Opel Key Master
4,834 Posts
The kit will come normally for a stock alternator, If you have an aftermarket alternator, or one from a different application, you will need to just change your layout on the mount or space it. Don't try to eyeball it, use the flatbar provided and put the lower pulley on so you know where you are at first. Go by the groove, not the end of the pulley

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wes, have you used the alternator you posted with Keith’s kit yet?

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So today I pulled the crank pulley, water pump pulley, and installed most of the components of the kit. It’s pretty straightforward, use the included templates to make holes, bolt on the components, and route/connect the lines.

Once I get confirmation from Wes, I’ll order that alternator and finish off the install. The shaft on the alternator I have is too short to do anything with.

I still need to clean out the car. I’ll do that tomorrow.

I have to commend OpelSpyder. His kit is very well put together. I only had to drill three “big” holes for hoses, and everything was pretty easy to figure out. Oh and it’s a tight fit but the stock 26R battery can be removed and installed.

Here are some pictures.

·
Can Opeler
3,177 Posts
Looking great! The shaft on my alternator was also too short which is why I machined the pulley internal thickness down while maintaining the same outer thickness. Looks like you have the exact some alternator as me.

I like how well the condensor fits on an unmodified GT bulkhead. I had to change that up because of my bellypan cover mount.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The condenser pipe is close to the brake booster. Is that an OEM or 9" booster? I'm curious if it will fit with the bigger one.

·
Opeler
682 Posts
I haven't even taken it out of the shipping box. It arrived yesterday. I don't have my a/c kit yet. You, however, are making great progress! Keep up the good work

Wes

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed the rear deck risers, console, finished installing wiring, and tidied up the wiring/AC lines. I’m waiting on the pulley before I finish the install.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the pulley machined today, and finished the install! All that’s left is evacuating/leak-checking/filling the system with r134a.

Couple of notes:
I trimmed the lower radiator hose about a 1/4” on the bottom, otherwise it rubs against the AC pulley. Now it’s really close, but doesn’t look like it’s rubbing.

If you’re running a stock air filter setup, you may want to remove it temporarily to fill the system. You can hardly see the fill valves with the stock air box.

Check before you drill the holes for the evaporator drain hose. I got uncomfortably close to the fuel line with my drill bit. Don’t do what I did.

I can “officially” state that this kit works with the following mods: OGTS aluminum radiator. Fits just fine.

Getrag 5-speed. The console doesn’t get in the way of shifting.

Front sway bar. You might have to route the lines under the car slightly differently to clear the front sway bar and not rub, but there’s plenty of length to the hoses.

I will update once the AC is filled and working!

·
Can Opeler
3,177 Posts
Looks fantastic

I’ve had my radiator hose get eaten by the pulley once. Cutting a quarter inch off helps, but I still noticed a small bit of rub after autocross one time. I now have it zip tied tightly away from the pulley. I check the zip ties periodically. Eventually I will use a piece of aluminum tube as an adaptor to clear the pulley better, but its safe now. Also note I’m using an older coolant hose that’s a little bigger than new production ones which may be why mine rubs more.

The GT takes approximately 2lbs (or 32 oz) of r134a. Although I find mine only wants to take about 24-30 oz.

After running it for a few days check the bolts on the compressor and tensioner and make sure they are tight. (Or just go ahead and locktite them). That little compressor is hard mounted with no bushings and she will shear the lower pivot bolt if it gets loose. Ask me how I know lol. Blue locktite is a good idea.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts