Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
WHat kind of power could i expect from a weber and all supporting mods plus a ultra super comp cam ?
A car that is no fun to drive on the street.

Stick with mild, you'll be much happier. That ultra super, needs super high compression and several thousand other things to work right, and those several thousand other things all have dollar signs.

There's a reason stuff is labeled, not for street use.

Think about lightening the flywheel, or a five speed.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Ok, so your saying to go to a max comp or combination ?
ANy idea on power from them ?
Go with a combo cam, up the intake valve size a little, electronic ignition, a header, and lighten the flywheel.

THEN JUST GO DRIVE IT FIRST!

Honestly, with an Opel GT it's a package deal, not seeing what magical numbers you can buy from a catalog.

Just build it, and drive it first, and drive it for a while. Then spend some money on the suspension.

Or, just for the heck of it, see if you can get everything in it working right, all at the same time.

You keep making posts about engine, this, and engine that.

How about you get it on the street, then install new brake hoses, rebuild the calipers, change the trans and rear end over to synthetic fluid, install a starter relay, add some halogen headlights, oh, and fuse a few things.

The way you are going at it, you're going to end up with an overpowered death trap, and nobody wants to buy your engine at an Estate Sale if you get my drift.

There is a lot more to a GT, than just an engine, that makes HP on the dyno.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Add a turbo with the right camshaft grind
It'll run circles around the Max-competition cam.

For more kick in the pants
A 100hp shot of juice while boosted ....shoot the moon big time.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Add a turbo with the right camshaft grind
It'll run circles around the Max-competition cam.

For more kick in the pants
A 100hp shot of juice while boosted ....shoot the moon big time.
Ahem!

You're not helping here Buddy.

For gosh sake think of the poor tree.

The one he's gonna kill when he hits it with a worn out suspension, and stucky brakes.

·
Super Moderator
13,245 Posts
The ultra super comp Isky cam has a maximum HP potential of about 175 hp IMO. Unless you build a full race engine....you won't have anywhere close to this. It would cost you about $6000 to build an engine that can fully utilize that cam. Plus a stronger clutch, close ratio gear box, and steeper final drive to keep you in the powerband. Another $4000.

Choose a cam that compliments what you have. Don't just choose the biggest cam you can find. It will be a miserable POS to drive otherwise. And with the mods you have, you'd be lucky to break 100 hp even if you used that cam.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
The ultra super comp Isky cam has a maximum HP potential of about 175 hp IMO. Unless you build a full race engine....you won't have anywhere close to this. It would cost you about $6000 to build an engine that can fully utilize that cam. Plus a stronger clutch, close ratio gear box, and steeper final drive to keep you in the powerband. Another $4000.
Then you'll have something that will be impossible to drive on the street without stalling it, or doing a full scale OMG "Impound His Car," burnout.

Did you have a plan on where to get Racing Gas? You do know that that stuff is expensive? Between that and the lack of gas mileage, you might be able to afford to drive maybe once every two weeks.

When you trailer it to the track.

·
Über Genius
8,828 Posts
The rearend would blow out before too many tickets.

·
Opeler
718 Posts
Ok, so your saying to go to a max comp or combination ?
ANy idea on power from them ?
How much horse power are looking to achieve? Like Bob said, these engines require a TON of money and work for them to even break 150 HP. Trust me, if you are wanting decent drive-ability on the street, you don't want a cam bigger then the Isky Max Comp. I built a 2.0 years ago using that cam, I had to run a vacuum storage canister so I could have power brakes. Not even enough vacuum :ugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts