Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just done finished remove the spare tire shelf (what a job), to get the fuel sender out. The inside in the back looks very good, a couple places of minor surface rust, but mostly the factory painted metal in original condition. I was thinking about spraying the whole area with that spray on undercoating..is there a reason that I shouldn't do this??

· Registered
6,344 Posts
One of the problems with using an undercoating type covering is if you have moisture under it, it will accelerate the rusting of metal, and you will not be aware of it happening. That plus the added weight. You have some surface rust already, it will get worse if you don't treat it correctly. Here's what I have done to the same area on my GT, the link below, at the first post, is what it looked like after I cleaned the whole interior with POR-15 Marine Clean and a K'Archer 1100 psi vapor blaster. The attached photo is what the rear interior looks like after being treated with the POR-15 Metal Ready and POR-15 Silver paint. Like you I had some surface rust and the Resto-Motive folks, makers of POR-15, say in their advertising rust is a thing of the past. So my whole car is getting their treatment, top to bottom. HTH.

Ron

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3778

Attachments

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Need two things for rust to happen - air and water. Por-15 is totally non-pourous and seals off anything underneath it from both air and water, Hence the claim that Por-15 treatment - even over existing rust!! - prevents any further corrosion. The company stands behind that claim absolutely.

· Opeler
89 Posts
I'm just about to the point of painting my body - I'd hate for it to start rusting under the paint - I'd like to look into the POR15, but can't seem to find it for sale locally - do you pretty much just have to buy it on line? :confused:

· Registered
6,344 Posts
There are some retail outlets, but I don't know where. I just call their toll free number and order by credit card. It seems I've got a standing order with them. I just ordered another six-pack of the Gloss Black for the little things I'm taking off the car, like brackets and window sills. The headlight lever and brake handle will be done along with the steering column, etc. The fuel tank will be done today. One thing, read their instructions and follow them religiously. If you don't want to wear the paint on your body, clean it off immediately if you get some on it. The metal has to be prepped, no way around it. Does it work? So far I have no complaints, but a lot of positive comments from folks that have seen what I've done so far. And I am not a body man or painter. HTH.

Ron

· 70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
A couple of ways to find retail supplies around you;

1. Check with an Auto paint shop. They might direct you.
2. Check with a shop that does Auto restoration. again to get a name. Might be classic cars, VW's, or some other make vehicle.
3. Find an Auto paint supply place and ask them.
4. Call around to the Auto parts store.
5. Stop that next hot restored vehicle that drives by to ask the owner.

I would think that Evansville would have a retail store. I found one near me that took me by surprise. They even sell House of Kolor paints. Found out at a car show. :cool:

· Registered
3,460 Posts
What Ron said about wearing the paint is correct. You're best bet is to go by a local hardware store and buy a box of plastic gloves. It took 4 days for the Chassis black to wear off my hands. Like Ron, everything I'm taking off the car will be painted with it before it is put back on. POR-15 is a great product. Jarrell

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Read the Label!

Before using POR-15 products, read the label, they recommend methods of preparation and not to breath the stuff in or get in contact with it.
There is also a marvelous product that they make to repair and rustproof fuel tanks - it is suposed to be able to cover pin holes and lock any interior surface rust in place - for ever!

· Non Civilian
2,104 Posts

· Non Civilian
2,104 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Ron, did you spray on the POR-15 or brush it on? I've never tried spraying and it looks like it must be reduced. Plus I can't imagine cleaning the gun. Brushing takes a long time. And there's usually minor touchup.

For those that don't know, POR-15 goes a long way. A little dinky can will easily cover 2 engines, plus some. It looks like Testors model paint and applies about the same way. But it's very sandable and dries tough as nails.

My complaint so far is the cheap lid. It's lip uncurls real easy and stinks to re-seal. I use plastic wrap under the lid; otherwise, it's really hard to remove later, esp. if paint gets on the edge.

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Here's the trick to saving the POR-15 after you open the can. Empty it into a pint sized Mason/Kerr jar. I got a case of them for a couple of bucks, get the wide mouth ones. For brush painting, squeeze the brush against the inside of the jar only half way up. Do not get the paint on the lip of the jar, if you do, clean it immediately. For spray guns, pour it in the glass jar, use their solvent and pour a little in the can, seal it, shake it up real good, and pour it in the jar, do it for brush painting also, then thin as necessary. I use a coffee stirrer to mix the paint/solvent. When done with the spray gun, run some solvent through it, then I disassemble it and put the whole thing in a container of Zylene. It's fairly cheap by the gallon at Home Depot. Also it will clean up any misplaced POR-15. I only use their solvent to thin the paint for spraying. I've had the paint in the spray gun for over an hour waiting between coats, and have had no problems with it drying in the can. For spray gun use, you have to have a respirator and use latex gloves, cover bare skin with vaseline or you'll be wearing the paint for days. HTH.

Ron

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
The respirator is most important - otherwise you get an inpermiable layer of POR-15 inside your lungs. They would never rust - but the layer won't let oxygen get through!

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Jim, that's a very good point, but even more important is that any paint that is sprayed can be ingested into the lungs, even rattle cans. What is important and medically critical, is that once the paint adheres to the lung tissue, that part of the lung is gone and useless. Once the paint is there it will not come off, EVER. Respirators do not cost that much and what they do for the cost to get one is as the saying goes "Priceless".

Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.