Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I installed the underhood rubber set from OGTS on my GT and now the hood will not close and lock properly. I tried raising the hood latch bar but it didn't make much difference. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it? I thought about trimming some rubber off the top part but thought I'd ask before doing so.

Jim

·
Opeler
135 Posts
Underhood Rubber

Over time it should settle a bit. However, I'd call Gil or Dennis on Monday and review this with them before altering it.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
it says in the instuction sheet from OGTS that this will happen and to be patient and it will settle or you can adjust for it. It's not in those words but close enough.

·
328 Posts
It also shows you in the instructions where to cut the rubber if need be.I installed it recently, left the car out in the sun, and made sure I opened and closed the hood a few times a day. It broke in after 3 days and I didn't have to adjust the latch. Also make sure it is facing the right way.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Sounds good but please share the instructions. Where to trim & which way is correct in the installation.Rubber folding toward the windshield Or the front.Having trouble like others getting the hood to latch properly. Thanks

·
2,054 Posts
The seal near the windshield bends towards the winshield.

Since you recently pulled and installed your engine, are you comfortable that you have the motor mounts installed correctly? They are side specific and if you switched them the engine will not sit at the correct angle, and the carb cover will be too high for the hood.

If mounted correctly, then it should be a matter of breaking the seal in as mentioned above. It'll be a while for you since you don't have warm days for some time to come.

Also, I did experience higher engine compartment temperatures due to the better seal. But the engine fumes were cut down noticably from the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The seal near the windshield bends towards the winshield.

Since you recently pulled and installed your engine, are you comfortable that you have the motor mounts installed correctly? They are side specific and if you switched them the engine will not sit at the correct angle, and the carb cover will be too high for the hood.

If mounted correctly, then it should be a matter of breaking the seal in as mentioned above. It'll be a while for you since you don't have warm days for some time to come.

Also, I did experience higher engine compartment temperatures due to the better seal. But the engine fumes were cut down noticably from the passenger compartment.
Thanks.Got it closing properly. Had the rubber on backwards.Just repainted the Wiper motor area & had the rubber off. Also used a small torch to bend the rubber back a bit & adjusted the brackets up. Hood sits a touch high but I can live with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts