Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I have neglected my prize possession! 50 lashes for me!
When I got the Opel I am currently working on I focused on making it run good and of course body stuff.
Well today I drove her up on ramps and that's when I realized I deserve a ___ kicking! The underside of my opel is less than desirable. Been scraping rust deposits off with a wire brush, but most of my suspension is out of reach unless of course I use a toothbrush size wire brush( which by the way I WILL resort to for my GT)!
Thought about sandblasting the entire underside, but don't know how much damage this would do to some of the good working parts under there. Sand in areas is not good....
Anyone out there have some suggestions to help me out here? Keep wiring or try sandblasting??
Also, want to undercoat. Anyone tried that undercoating spray in a can and done it themself? Is this good or is there a better method? I have Ziebart, but there isn't any UNDER the car.
Ok...back to wiring for now. Hope someone out there has some insight for me . I'll check for words of wisdom a little later!:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the same boat. The rust isn't that bad on the underside of my '72. The belly pan was in the worst shape but I'm painting that along with the exterior body. I think for the next few years I'm going to clean and paint undernieth as needed for service or repair. I didn't buy this car to fully restore and park in a museum. I'm going to drive it and enjoy it. If it's not up to class 2 or even class 3 standards, fine.

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll drive mine daily too in summer months. Can't stand knowing it looks like that under there though...just too fond of the car to let it stay that way.
I wire brushed for a LOOOONG time today. Looks like at one time someone tried to undercoat my underneath, but it has mostly peeled off. The rust is coming off pretty good in areas where it WAS undercoated. Suspension is biggest problem. I see that all my rubber components under there are shot also!:(
Think I might keep right on brushing. Then eventually take entire front suspension apart-sandblast all parts I can to remove rust I can't reach-install new rubber parts-then put it all back together.
Does this sound safe? Don't want to risk getting sand in the bearings and stuff......
Meanwhile......anyone know about that spray on undercoating you can do yourself????? Give me some tips here before I do something stupid and go down in flames!:D

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i heard the aerosol can spray stuff is junk!!! people say that it never really dries and is always kinda of tacky or that it dries out and becomes brittle after a couple years. i have never really had a car yet to try it on. but about getting that rust off. i have a 51 packard that my dad gave me two summers ago and i cleaned the fram and floor pans up with a angle grinder. the local hardware sold wire wheels that screwed right on the angle grinder and that worked really well in the open spots..... still needed a brush for tight spots. i scraped the bottom of the car first with a gasket scraper. hope this helps some.....

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for input.

If spray is junk, does anyone else have an idea for me?

·
Registered
136 Posts
squeaky clean

A high pressure steam cleaner has always done the trick for me. Obviously it wont strip rust for you, but it will blast out all of the dirt. You can rent them pretty cheap or hijack one from a friend in you dont have one. Plain water will work okay but if you have one that has an object to use to a soap solution I suggest to double the concentration for the soap, that will get just about anything clean. Just remember to spary it down with plain water after it looks fairly clean. Have fun and happy cleaning.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A common thing to do in Datsun circles now is coat the underside of the car in pickup truck bedliner. Something like RhinoLiner would make a thick shield that would take all the abuse you could throw at it and not break off or rust. The downside is the weight and that you definitely won't be winning any Concours shows with that on.

·
Riding Low
65 Posts
under gt

OOOO,,,I hear from alot of body guys that if you have a car with rust don't use a press. sprayer,, the #1 killer of cars is a press. sprayer,,,it blows water into places you don't want it...the best my be to have it media blasted(walnut shells) i could be wrong,,,, i am not going that route, when i restore my 70 i am striping it to the shell and having it dipped,,,and electro power coated(i helps having a place a town away that can do that)

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh look...KMON is a comedian! "have fun and happy cleaning"._:D YEA RIGHT!

Thanks for ideas. Still not sure what I'll do yet. Suspension is actually worse than body of car. Looks like years ago someone tried to coat underside...found traces after many hours of brushing!:)

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
399 Posts
Rhino Liner as undercoat?

Dan0myte said:
A common thing to do in Datsun circles now is coat the underside of the car in pickup truck bedliner. Something like RhinoLiner would make a thick shield that would take all the abuse you could throw at it and not break off or rust.
Using RhinoLiner as an undercoat will could help hold water/moisture next to the underside of the car. Sure it looks good and will dampen sound in the car.
But the water that will eventuality work its way in, because it allways does. And having no place to go but down, the water will be held against the body. Causing the car body to rust from the inside out.

However using RhinoLiner on the inside of the car under the driver and passenger seats may help the preserve the floor pans. If you have worn cowboy boots while driving a GT you know the floor can take quite a beating. Liner would minimize sound and the abuse on the floor pans.

·
1,973 Posts
the tar spray in cans is never suposed to really dry its suposed to be plyable. i think it works well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: under gt

ravn99 said:
OOOO,,,I hear from alot of body guys that if you have a car with rust don't use a press. sprayer,, the #1 killer of cars is a press. sprayer,,,it blows water into places you don't want it
Thats only true if arent careful...if you let that water sit in there than it can be a problem. Always make sure the car nice and dry are you spray it down, I usualy just fire up my compressor and blast it down till its dry....

As for 'undercoating', this is really messy horrible job that is quite reward when done right. You can use the stuff from that cans and it will do pretty well. Rino lining is definitly a step up. First just get everything super clean, and strip all rust down. If its really deep take is all the down to bare metal. Then primer and reshoot. You can even rattle can the underside with something that somewhat matches your paint, unless you plan to have mirrors under it when you show it ;) If the suspension is so dirty just pull it and from there. Its not all that hard to do just a pain. If you have a good amount of free time and really want to do it 'right' pull everything out, clean it, and paint it one piece at a time. If you do this for the entire car the results are unbelievable :D

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the rhino lining....is the weight a problem as suggested to me earlier that it could be?
I know what it is , but never used before....how costly? Would I just prep and they shoot?

·
82 Posts
I used about five cans of that "rust converter." I’m not sure if it actually works. I basically knock off any rust, and then soak it with the spray. Any holes under the car get the spray, and then the hole gets filled with expanding foam insulation after it drys.

·
371 Posts
hey iwas going to use a baking soda to blast off the rust on my car cheap and quick reusable clean up with water then rinro line or por 15 make sure that you do the floor pands inside first.from what i have been told u will not have alot road noise in fact i was going to do the hole car that way. the car collector guide said that the opel gt was under powered and noise with the lining the noise should go a but away. the car only weights about 2500 pounds you not going to add that much wieght. or the other thing was por 15 now they say that thier stuff is so good that it will not ever rust again and you just paint it on and it come in colors cool stuff

·
96 Posts
FSM says car weight is 2112lbs +44lbs for auto trans +8 lbs for radio(one fat radio). My buddy uses baking soda to strip old toy trains so he can repaint and sell at train shows. says it does a great job, easy clean up, and no damage to the metal. I'll be trying this in the next few months.

Webster

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's what they call "Soda Blasting". They put your car in a well ventilated painting booth, then shoot it with high pressure baking soda. All the paint is gone and the body panels barely feel a thing. The only problem is cost. It takes the shop much, much longer to soda blast a car than sand blast it, because it basically fills the room with white smoke and the sprayer can't see a thing. He basically has to shoot a spot, wait for the smoke to settle, check how the work is coming along, then start again.

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
undercoating tip

what is POR 15?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
free4u2nv, check out their site, http://www.por15.com/ There are several different products they sell. I used POR-15 as an undercoat on the body on my Brown one. I also used it on the front/rear end, then painted it with Chassis Black. Did the engine the same way and used Engine Enamel. Great stuff. I would reccomend getting the starter kit and use 6 packs afterwords. If you get it, Follow their instructions exactly and wear gloves as it takes about a week to wear off your hands. HTH, Jarrell

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
THANKS! I will check it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts