Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My most recent project was the fitment of a Garrett GT28RS turbocharger under the hood of a Manta. As the car was recently painted, cutting and modding the inner fender was a no-go so I had to design a turbo manifold that would fit within the stock chassis.

While doing this, it dawned on me that a manifold that was compact enough *might* fit other Opel chassis'. Now, since everybody has their own ideas of what they want to do, I realize that one size does not fit all. So I set about developing a manifold that would accomodate a stock Opel EFI intake and any T2-flanged turbo up to a GT28RS (capable of supporting 350 hp). In theory a larger turbo such as a GT3071 could be fitted too, but for that you'd need a custom intake manifold or a raised port (2.2/2.4) head for the intake to clear the larger turbo compressor housing.

Anyway, I came up with this design to fit the model 50 chassis (Manta, Ascona, Sportwagon), but if a person were so inclined a manifold without a flange could be supplied and a car owner could fit their own turbo and flange into their particular Opel.

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more pics with the intake fitted.

·
Super Moderator
9,755 Posts
Holy High Compression Batman!!!! Seriously though, awesome work Bob!:yup::yup:

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am guessing the square tubing you have there simulates the inner frame rail of the 50 series.
Yup!

Looks pretty cool, jetcoat that thing!!
It will get coated later on. I just dropped it off at the metal shop next door, they are reverse engineering my metalwork in order to make assembly/welding easier next time. Going to have 30 sets of metal stampings made...:banghead:

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great work as allways
got any exhaust flanges 2.2 for sale
My flanges will fit all the heads...1.5-2.4 CIH, except the Swedenheads.

I may have more made, the metal shop next door is getting a water-jet cutter.

Reactions: Gary

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,349 Posts
Holy Canoli!

Enough with the cool azz mods! I'm running outta money over here. Sheesh! Just when I think, okay, my engine is pretty cool, you gotta come up with crazy crankshaftless hover pistons that move by magnetic induction with F-16 fighter engine turbo ram jet air pumper doodles and valves that move by mental telepathy! Double Sheesh!

Since the whole point of a turbo is to blow the head off your engine in record time, wouldn't it be simpler to just pack the cylinders with dynamite and light the blue touch paper?

:veryhappy

:banana:

:yikes:

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Wow Bob that sucker is beautiful. You never cease to amaze with your talent. I can try but I don't think I can touch your stuff. INCREDIBLE!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Bad A$$ work Bob.:cool:

Reactions: GeorgeOpel

·
Registered
703 Posts
Do I dare say it?

I Have been RALLYBOBED again..................

Seriously that is cool. Now will a stock 1.9 hold up to the turbo?

·
Non Civilian
2,092 Posts
I am so interested!

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very impressive work. Only begs the question if a twin scroll unit could be packaged.
Not easily. Depends on the turbo of course. You'd have to pair cylinders 1 and 4 to one volute, and cylinders 2 and 3 to the other volute to reap all the benefits of a twin scroll turbo. So the manifold would gain considerable bulk routing the runners that way.

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Will it fit into a GT?
The manifold itself fits a GT chassis, but the turbo flange location won't allow a GT28RS turbo to fit. The engine mount bracket gets in the way, as does the inner fender. A GT25 turbo should clear the inner fender, but you'd have to mod the engine mount bracket.

That's why I'd offer the manifold with a 'no flange' option. You weld it wherever you want to suit your needs.

·
Opeler
720 Posts
Bob, what's the price tag on one of these manifolds?

David

1 - 20 of 86 Posts