Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone has been through this and has an answer, because I am a little confused. If I am putting a Kwick Wire universal wiring harness, the flasher and turn signals are on the universal kit.

I think all I have to do it connect a switched power lead to the turn signal Black/green/white wire from the column and my turn signals and flasher should work through the Kwick Wire harness without any connections to the original hazard switch.

This is my last stumbling block on putting the universal wiring kit in the GT. Any information on this part of the wiring would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,725 Posts
Probably of no use to you, but maybe it might help you work out the logic, here's how I wired the turn/hazard function in my GTX:

I didn't want to go the route of having multiple relays to isolate the circuits, so I opted for diodes that act as one way "gates" that prevent back flow. My car has a similar aftermarket fuse box with two flasher relays. I'm using the Opel stuff in the column, but only the oem hi/lo relay, not the oem headlight relay.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,221 Posts
So Bob, are you going to be using the stock switch for the hazard lights?

Do you want to integrate it into the new harness?

I'm drawing a little diagram for the Blitz of just the stock turn signals/hazard lights, is there a simplified diagram of your new harness that just deals with that stuff?

I think I can puzzle it out if I knew how the new harness is supposed to work.

Gordo, you chose the nuclear option and left almost nothing of the original electrical system the same, so I'm not sure if your solution would work for Bob.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alex, the Kwick Wire universal wiring harness has the turn signals and flasher unit on the Kwick Wire fuse panel. Apparently you can hook it up and bypass the stock turn signals and hazard flasher using the kit.

I was thinking (dangerous) that the turn signal circuit should have a hot wire to the column turn signal lever on the column (black/white/green wire). From there the kit has front right and left turn signal wires, and rear right and left turn signal wires. That would bypass the the stock turn signals. I believe that the turn signals have to be connected to the the column turn signal wires (black/white) and (black/green) With that said, I should now have a working circuit for the turn signals.

The emergency flasher has two wires coming from the Kwick Wire kit, and I believe they need to be connected to the turn signal circuit through an always hot wire and through the stock hazard switch, using only the switch to turn on the flashers. Always hot wire so it could be used without turning on the engine.

I am not that gifted in wiring, so that's why I am asking these seemingly stupid questions.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Probably of no use to you, but maybe it might help you work out the logic, here's how I wired the turn/hazard function in my GTX:

I didn't want to go the route of having multiple relays to isolate the circuits, so I opted for diodes that act as one way "gates" that prevent back flow. My car has a similar aftermarket fuse box with two flasher relays. I'm using the Opel stuff in the column, but only the oem hi/lo relay, not the oem headlight relay.
Gordon, my Kwick wire kit only has one flasher, but now I am wondering if there might not be two. There seems to be one on each side of the horn relay, so maybe I have been going about this wrong. I am gong to have to check today and see if there are actually two flashers, one for the turn signals and one for the emergency flasher. At least you got me thinking, and maybe it just easier than I thought. Will find out what the second "flasher" is on the fuse box today, maybe it will make sense then.

Thanks,
Bob

Gordon: what were the technical specs. on the diodes? What did you use? I went on Amazon, and there are a thousand kinds, and this kid doesn't know anything about them.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my fuse box. Notice how the hazard and turn signal fuses are right next to their respective flasher relays:

......and how it's wired:

And as an FYI, here's Charlie's main diagram:

Gordon, I am wondering if you have Charlie's schematic is an enlargable format? I took a close look at it, and it appears to be what I need. I also downloaded it in Charlie's universal wiring instructions on his post, but the copies I have are so small my poor old eyes can't pick all of it up. Even with a magnifying glass I am having a few problems jumping from sheet to sheet.

So if you or any one else (maybe even Charles) have a larger copy of that schematic, I think it would solve all my problems. Didn't look at it close enough because it was so small.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,725 Posts
My eye sight has gone to heck also. I really dreaded wiring my car because of it. The pics are from Charlie's wiring article in the January/March 2015 issue of the Blitz. I've taken some closer pics of the schematic at a higher resolution for you below:

Text Diagram Design Plan Pattern
Text Plan Diagram Technical drawing Design
Plan Text Diagram Technical drawing Drawing
Text Diagram Plan Drawing Technical drawing

Don't sweat the mistakes you'll inevitably make, just try to do things so that you have an exit strategy. Leave wires longer than you normally would in case you need to chop and rewire. Don't wrap your wire bundles until you're sure all your systems work.

·
FNG
132 Posts
My eye sight has gone to heck also. I really dreaded wiring my car because of it. The pics are from Charlie's wiring article in the January/March 2015 issue of the Blitz. I've taken some closer pics of the schematic at a higher resolution for you below:

View attachment 280841 View attachment 280849 View attachment 280857 View attachment 280865

Don't sweat the mistakes you'll inevitably make, just try to do things so that you have an exit strategy. Leave wires longer than you normally would in case you need to chop and rewire. Don't wrap your wire bundles until you're sure all your systems work.
Or go full bat crap crazy. :veryhappy
I wired a '47 Dodge that way when I replaced the hot-water-6 with a cumins.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

View attachment 280841 View attachment 280849 View attachment 280857 View attachment 280865

Gordon, thanks for the enlarged copies, I can actually see them. I will post my progress when I get going. This will make my project a lot easier. Thanks again Gordon, I appreciate you posting those diagrams. I am sure if anyone else if going to do the rewiring, this will help them too. Also thanks to Charles Goin, for creating the article and the schematics, you have helped a lot of people in the same predicament I was in.

Bob

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jng8fjyn2xjibek/AACyIuZMRS4KALImwyL_nmcCa?dl=0

Link to folder with all the pictures, diagrams and files that Dropbox broke the links too.
Charles, thanks for the pictures. I still have a couple circuits to get the GT back on the road. I know where they go, but having your pictures will at least give me some reference material. Also wanted to thank you for writing the rewiring article, I don't think I would have tried to do it, and your post got me through. Thanks again,

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts